"AirTech" BSA Ultra Se .177

hoggysreels

Got my ultra back from AirTech "Carl" .. its a totally different rifle. Gone are most of the original internal part, to be replaced with AirTech designed and engineered parts. He doesn't hone the original parts to a more refined standard, he rebuilds the rifle with newly designed internals. He did some work on the original barrel "pellet was clipping, pre-overhaul work.

Weihrauch moderator no longer needed. Now has a carbon shroud / moderator, plus air stripper.

His "Carl's" standard of workmanship is in keeping with high end traditional British engineering. (which l thought had long since ceased) .. happily, l was totally wrong.

l was thinking of selling the Ultra for a HW 100 KT "l very much like the KT" .. l was reasonably happy with my standard Ultra. I wasn't to keen on having the standard ultra reworked to return as a reworked "standard ultra" l wanted something that was that bit better. AirTech has worked marvels. Its now the Ultra l always wanted. Shot count risen and vastly improved consistency and quiet to .. AirTech certainly get the thunbs up from me .. Carl is one fantastic engineer .. highly recommended.

Do you think it's now better than a HW 100 would be.

Also how does the costs compare for say a used ultra se with all the work you've had done compared to buying a new HW100?

Maybe a few Ultra Se owners thinking of doing the similar.

So is it now the same as Si Pittaways Ratworks Reaper.

a lot of people go ott about the ratworks work,, sorry to say but their work is not a patch on air tech, the guy is a genius and he builds and makes ALL components on site , unlike most who buy in parts then add money on top to fit,

no one better imho and I,ve seen his work first hand

Had a carbon shroud fitted at AirTech as he was doing the modification work (plus an air stripper) ..

Regards a comparison AirTech modified Ultra vs HW 100, l honestly couldn't say mate. I am an admirer of the HW 100 KT. Like the 14 shot magazine and the side lever etc. In reality the HW is a more expensive rifle from the off. What l would suggest is the AirTech Ultra is nearer, as a comparison to the HW than the standard Ultra ever was.

Its a cracker now .. but l do like the HW 100 KT .. there are lots of good pcp's about.

The hammer and valve, plus regulator and other internal have all been changed. The bolt action is so sweet now, and the trigger much improve. The in-house manufactured air cylinder is an improvement capacity wise. The bluing is an excellent match. His work is of the highest order and comes fully guaranteed ...

I was in the predicament as you are figgy .. should l have the rifle l like modified (didn't want the originals blue printed) or sell on and put the dosh towards a new rifle (HW) .. anyhow, all l will say is lm happy.

Thanks for the reply Hoggysreels.

The rifle I most liked and had most fun with was the cheapest I owned it was a Webley Vulcan with s 4x20 fixed mag scope. Played with the internals and it just fit me, it don't always work buying the best.

I can understand if you like it and it fits doing the work to make it into a belting rifle.

I'm considering fitting regulators to the S410f and the Daystate Huntsman Classic, can't figure why they arnt fitted by factory.

S410F & the Huntsman are both nice pcp's ... 410f is the carbine? ... l like carbines, hence why l bought the Ultra Se. Even after the modifications l've had done, its total length remains the same as the standard Ultra with a Weihrauch moderator fitted.

What is the shot count for the 410f and what is the pellet speed spread presently .. atb.

S410F & the Huntsman are both nice pcp's ... 410f is the carbine? ... l like carbines, hence why l bought the Ultra Se. Even after the modifications l've had done, its total length remains the same as the standard Ultra with a Weihrauch moderator fitted.

What is the shot count for the 410f and what is the pellet speed spread presently .. atb.

Not sure of the speed but around 60 to 70 shots .22 in the sweet spot but it really comes on song around 150 bar for about 15 shots. Mine is the s410f super lite classic not the carbine.

The Daystate is .177 so it's about 50 to 60 shots with no noticeable difference on paper till it gets to 65,70 shots.

Need to get a chrono soon.

Hi Hoggy.A little bird tells me your rifle looks fantastic i hope to see it in the flesh soon. How about some pictures for everyone to look at.

A.T.B Roger

I agree rog,, we want pictures,,

tell ya what mate , I,ve now seen it in the flesh and its stunning mate, I,ll guarantee you,ll get yours done :lol::lol: :lol:

I've never managed to post a photo on PW. Never managed to suss it out (almost certainly through lack of effort) ..

I finally decided on getting the 325mm cylinder. Doesn't look as all together as it was with the 250mm. Bit ungainly in some respects (its a work in progress thing, l'm telling myself) .. Thinking along the lines of a Scorpion or Tactical stock. Tactical makes sense and is more practical. The Scorpion stock is more pleasing to the eye. Will ponder that one.

I'm also thinking of a few more mods .. air valve connector change to Daystate type. Maybe a barrel swap. And l'd like a 40mm side parrelax scope with 30mm body. Will leave things as they are presently and see how it goes. When tested it was doing a 5ft sec spread (think that how to explain?) .. 801ft - 806ft .. whatever that interpretates as. Very vonsistant.

Roger, you don't need a photo mate, you can shoot it and have a gaze over it .. your welcome

Ha ha hoggysreels a barrel change stock change what will be left of the original ultra?

Take a picture on your smart phone and email it to yourself it will ask to resize to send click on yes, when you receive it in your email save the image to your photo album and then attach it to your post on here, job jobbed :good:

pete favour for favour,, pop ya gun round to mine 2moro, I,ll take a couple of photos and show ya how to post on here, but most importantly, I,ve just rebuilt the ranger and need a fast fill bottle to shut the valve off so I can fill the ranger, tried with my bottle but its got that slow release valve on it so I cant shut the valve off with mine,,what a pain, need to get it filled to check for leaks, if ya cant do it don't worry bud, I,ll blast it up to rogers

see ya Friday for a crow bashing trip

""Ha ha hoggysreels a barrel change stock change what will be left of the original ultra?"" ... not much at all figgy. Internally there isn't hardly anything remaining that standard. I wanted something more along the lines of S410/HW 100 KT pellet count etc. Maybe being a cheap skate won't pay off, but at least l did a bit of research and found the man to do what l think might get me closer to the previously mentioned pcp's, here's hoping!

No probs Bob .. will pop round and sort things tomorrow .. will ring you in the morning mate ..

well chaps took hoggy out for the day on one of my perms and as promised here is a pic of his BSA Ultra SE, the guy has done a superb job and put a bigger cylinder on it also,

SAM_0220_zpsnnr0qwfk.jpg

SAM_0221_zpscz9wo8hj.jpg

have to say , for £160 the job he has done is excellent quality and the rifle was certainly shooting very very accurately,,i do like the ultra and have to be honest but when you fire this one there is no hammer bounce at all, it is so smooth its like shooting an airwolf,,,,,well not quite

Edited by evo

looks a bit like a boar hunting shotgun with its extra long cylinder and short stock forend . I Like the shrouded barrel. How many shots are you getting extra compared to before the mods were done

it looks a cracking job and a bargain of a price.

I think it would look even nicer with a contrasting forend extention either in wood or synthetic like the DaystateWolverine C

Edited by figgy

If l charged the "standard Ultra" to 230, bar l could expect an average of 43 shots. First few shots could be a tad wayward. When at 205 bar, consistency developed till it dropped to about 100 bar.

Not sure as to how many shots lm currently getting since having it reworked at Airtech. I did shoot 85 shots the other day and had shots remaining. I can fill to 250 bar if l wanted to, and maintain consistency throughout its charge. Im only filling to 220 bar. My air tank needs charging soon.

All in all it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg. I got the rifle at a decent price and the modification work, was carried out at a very reasonable cost.

Shoots far better than my ability ..

the shroud is also a silencer/air stripper , I could not believe just how silent it was, but to shoot it all I can say is it doesn,t feel like an ultra se, it is super smooth but very very quiet, one thing that did impress me was how accurate it shot,

I think peter will get around 90 shots at least with the new reg that has been fitted, when we were at the guys place he fired 30+ shots and it only varied 5 ft p/s, now that was impressive, also whilst he chrono,d the rifle he must of put over a 100 shots through it without refilling,, now that I was surprised with

beat me to it pete :lol::lol::good:

Edited by evo

To get a tuned rifle with the mods you want a good price is great. I think no matter what you pay for a new rifle you pay for things you don't want that manufacturers put on and still have to pay to add the stuff you do want so starting with a rifle you own and like is a better way.

Do you find you hold the cylinder to shoot it or it. I have a long reach so wouldn't have one hand on the stock.

looking forward to see what other mods you do to it.

£160 = Regulated and a new lightweight adjustable hammer and valve. A different spring, that is sleeved in a delrin tube. The BSA spring adjuster cup and threaded adjuster has been binned and replaced with reworked manufactured Airtech components. Trigger unit has been altered slightly (though l favour a slightly heavier trigger) .. new 325mm air cylinder and replaced filler valve. Carbon barrel shroud/moderator with an aluminium air stripper fitted. All seals replaced ... very pleased with the results.

Cosmetically, the present stock does look short. I could pick up a Scorpion stock or a tactical stock. Thing is lm more interested in ability and performance than looks .. that said l might get another stock .. will use it and see how l get on with it. I have noticed its easier to use free standing with the bigger air cylinder fitted, just more stable ..

Edited by hoggysreels

I know how accurate a good BSA barrel is. I very nearly bought a Ultra but it wasn't the Ultra se but the older multi shot click this pull that push this to get a shot. Felt lovely in the hands, balanced well and fit was good but not the version I'd have been happy with.

How many heads did you take off Evos perm with it?

I'm wondering if a bullpup stock is more accurate for hunting as more of the barrel is between your hands with a lot less waving about at the muzzle.

I myself like a slightly heavier trigger, huntsman Classic I bought I cocked up more groups with a very light trigger. Just taking up the first stage I wouldn't feel the second and pop pellet gone. Wouldn't dare take out hunting like that. Spent an hour adjusting and re adjusting to get the first and second stages pronounced without too much creep on second stage break.

Edited by figgy