Washed and lubed pellets

figgy

So today I thought I would have a look at washing and lining some pellets that are a bit oxidised dated 2009.

So got two tins of same batch number of AA Diablo 16 grain in 5.51 washed then in washing up liquid rinsed in seive and dried.

Decided to try a few different lubes so I split the pellets into the two tins and then put around 50 in another tub.

One lot got a coating of Eds Red on foam in bottom and top of tin and pellets got a light spray. Next tin got WD 40 dry PTFE spray on them same method and finally the other fifty or so got a patch of Cleanzoil in bottom of little tub and a drop of liquid Cleanzoil on top of pellets and rolled around untill coated.

I had three magazines of thirty pellets from same batch with nothing done to them.

Put target up in garage and shot groups of five after cleaning the barrel on the S410f for test purposes, I wouldn't normally clean air gun barrels.

Shot first group with dry unwashed un lubed pellets then the WD 40 dry lubed group of five then onto eds red washed and lubed group, also shot a group of five Bisley magnums and Webley vermin pell both five groups. You can tell it was raining all day.

At 17 yards the dry not touched aa diablos had scraggy group with gaps around 3/4" total the WD dry lubed group were nice and tight the eds red were not as tight and patterned around them mm below the all the others, the bisley magnums patterned nice and tight and so did the Webley verminpell. I then shot more unwashed and unlubed AA diablos in case it was a case of unleaded barrel on first group and they grouped ok.

Conclusions after doing this I won't be doing it anymore so long as the pellets are clean they shoot fine. I don't have a chrono but if they were quicker or slower it shows how high or low they print on target. Don't use atf fluid as a pellet lube it groups lower so slowing them down.

As for washing them, I think it just increases the risk of damaging the skirts on the soft JSB pellets.

That was a waste of a few hours this morning :lol:

with pellets of yesteryear and the quality they where made to it was a good idea to wash the swarf off them , but the pellets that are being produced today the quality is far superior and I never clean my pellets,

for comps I,ll weigh a tin and separate into batches but that's for my own piece of mind knowing they all weigh the same, this day and age most people will just shoot them from the tin and they perform very well

Evo shooting them from the tin is all i have ever done.

I check for bent skirts and use another pellets head to straighten then shoot them.

It was boredom and curiosity as to the claims made, can shoot the knob off a gnat at 60 yards with washed and lubed pellets etc.

Not something I will be repeating. Only thing I may do is if a good tin of pellets starts to go awry I'll give the barrel clean to rule out fouling as it couldn't possibly be my shooting :lol: