Pattern testing

I am going to test some patterns at my local clay club, but it will be using steel shot and the pattern plate is made of steel too, it sounds pretty dangerous with the chances of ricochet's coming back at me, i thought of putting a sheet of hardboard in front of the pattern plate to stop any ricochet's, has anyone tried this...will it work?

Guest stevo

I would ask first ! Most clubs i know of will NOT let you pattern steel on a steel pattern plate as it can be very dangerous . Can you not go to a farm or one of your.permissions if.you have one and do it there ? . I can speak from first hand experiance steel on steel does not have a happy ending haha .( not me i might add ) but pellets went F........g everywhere

I asked at the club and they did'nt seem too worried about it, i might just make up a plywood frame and put the paper on that, it sounds safer

I do know a guy who lost an eye due to a ricochet and that was years ago with lead, it bounced off some farm machinery, so better safe than sorry

Edited by greenergp

Well he.has.to say that haha kingsferry.gun club is a steel shot only club . And he only made that statement as people were moaning about steel shot flying all over the place and so a lot of shooters went else where .

I don't use or even like steel but those who do, consistently deny any claims they're more prone to ricochets, also the article makes it clear the tests were independent ;) so hardly fair to just laugh it off. I can't find a link but pretty sure I recall seeing a video of someone shooting directly at a steel plate in his pants.

Guest stevo

I don't use or even like steel but those who do, consistently deny any claims they're more prone to ricochets, also the article makes it clear the tests were independent ;) so hardly fair to just laugh it off. I can't find a link but pretty sure I recall seeing a video of someone shooting directly at a steel plate in his pants.

That just proves to me hes a plonker .

When i was a boy i used to be a trapper at kingsferry every sunday morning . Done it for a couple of yrs . I have been back a few times over the yrs and its still the same .

Edited by stevo

That just proves to me hes a plonker .

When i was a boy i used to be a trapper at kingsferry every sunday morning . Done it for a couple of yrs . I have been back a few times over the yrs and its still the same .

Only been once even though it's fairly close to me, Skeet just isn't my thing nor is steel and the place is too bleak too but talking about ricochet off pattern plate - as with all subjects I reserve judgement till I've seen proof even if it seems highly probable that you'd be showered into next week the evidence seems to suggest it ain't so.

Edited by Hamster

Guest stevo

Only been once even though it's fairly close to me, Skeet just isn't my thing nor is steel and the place is too bleak too but talking about ricochet off pattern plate - as with all subjects I reserve judgement till I've seen proof even if it seems highly probable that you'd be showered into next week the evidence seems to suggest it ain't so.

Its a great . Very friendly place to shoot . Defo worth having a morning there . Digweed used to go there nearly every week at one point . He would have been about 16 at the time ( couple of yrs older than me ) now there was a lad that could shoot skeet .

We all used to knock about together messing about and being little **** while all of our dads were in the club house bragging about this and that haha .good days