another f.a.c. question

fieldwanderer

This is the land I'm allowed to shoot on, I use a shotgun there at the moment. I own 3 .22lr rifles for target shooting and would like to use them on this land and probably a .223 or similar for foxes. A mate of mine uses his .22 on the same land though I think he's got a (cant remmember what they're called) free/open? certificate so I don't think the land's been "approved" as such by the police.

It's about 1.5 miles long and just over a mile wide (at it's widest point). Yes there are two public footpaths on it but from what I can make out as long as I can convince the fao that I won't be shooting towards them, the roads or any houses. I should be alright. What do you guys think? and any advise please?

post-7228-1178463829.gif

not a FAC holder myself but from what I have learned via PW, Firstly we can't give a conclusive opnion without knowing/seeing the land.

The most important question is, are there any safe backstops? For example, sloping ground, banks etc? Also, I imagine the FEO will take into consideration both the frequency of the footpaths use and the openess, i.e. can you clearly see people making there way along the path from a long distance. I would imagine you would probably be ok with a rimfire, just not sure on a .22cf, all depends on the land's properties not JUST its size.

My opnion anyway, sure someone more knowledgable will pop along shortly,

Dan

all sounds fair enough, was more after an opinion really anyway.

As for "backstops", obviously there's woods on there and they'll keep anything away from the main road (right hand side) though I tend to avoid them based on "never shoot where you can't see" but if you look at the picture, all the land around the farm slopes (gently) towards roughly the middle of the circled area (in all directions). And it's quite a distance from all but one area of housing, and the roads obviously, though it would be easy enough to avoid shooting towards any of them anyway.

What sort of crops/uses is the farm used for? I guess if you say foxes then lambing/game?

It's all crop and occasionally the northern field is used for cattle and there's some 20 sheep there most years (not this year though) though there are game on there and we've been asked to do our best to keep it that way. The neighbouring farmer keeps & shoots game and he's also asked us to keep the foxes down.

What I thought might help would be to say that the centrefire is primaraly for target shooting (as my rimfires are) but I would like to be allowed to use it on the foxes when needs be (all true of course). So, in effect, I'd only be using that rifle for foxes a handful of times a year.

You will need to declare that any rifle to be used for shooting fox/rabbit etc is "for vermin control" otherwise you won,t get expanding ammo,only solids as for target shooting and you definately want expanding ammo for fox.

Your land looks more than suitable

good luck

GH

so far, 12bores. I decided not to bother trying to apply to use my .22s on there until We'd had it for a while (so as not to upset the farmer with the police contacting him straight away) it's been three years now I think, just haven't got round to it. But I'm getting a variation on my certificate done soon (changing club), so I thought I might as well do it now ??? I'll be applying for expanding ammo anyway, for the .22s for shooting rabbits etc so should be o.k with the centrefire if I can use it on there.

Ok, sounds fairly hopeful, any more opinions welcome though. I've just had another look at the map and it's maybe a little smaller than I first said (just over a mile by about 3/4 mile)

What about when I apply for this then, anyone got any really good tips that might help?

to be honest I imagine the fact that you are clearly a experienced target shooter, as well as using a shotgun on the land. I can't see any problems for getting vermin added to the .22lr, just whether the .22cf will be suitable for foxing.

This is the land I'm allowed to shoot on, I use a shotgun there at the moment. I own 3 .22lr rifles for target shooting and would like to use them on this land and probably a .223 or similar for foxes. A mate of mine uses his .22 on the same land though I think he's got a (cant remmember what they're called) free/open? certificate so I don't think the land's been "approved" as such by the police.

It's about 1.5 miles long and just over a mile wide (at it's widest point). Yes there are two public footpaths on it but from what I can make out as long as I can convince the fao that I won't be shooting towards them, the roads or any houses. I should be alright. What do you guys think? and any advise please?

post-7228-1178463829.gif

Hi FW when you apply ask for a mod at the same time, essential kit, does your mate shoot with one on the land at the moment?

IMO the only way forward is on the grounds of vermin control and if you can get the shoot manager to write you a letter confirming that you will be helping the shoot as well as the farmer I think you will be there.

An open ticket should follow after 12 months or so, the CF comes later when you have a proven safety record but I very much doubt you will get it for the land shown with the A46 so close, good luck with your application.

??? D2D

i was under the impression that even an open certificate forced the holder to only shoot on pre-approved land, the open bit means that their certificate does not stipulate the land on which the rifle can be used, only says "on land that has been approved by the chief officer of police"

not sure but if i am right, the land might have already have been approved, thereofre you wouldn't have to get it done, i would just give the police a call to see, might save you some time

The suitability of the land will be decided by the firearms officer who will inspect it if it hasnt already been inspected for the firearms you intend to use, ive had land passed that is alot smaller than the one your quoting, and it had a foot path running through it, they just advised me of the footpath and to take extra care.

I got my firearms cert after just several months of non fac air rifle use as your not suppose to use a firearm without the appropriate certificate, unless its a shotgun. As you intend to shoot vermin you will automatically be allowed expanding ammo but .22 rimfire is not a big enough gun for fox in the eyes of the law.

obviously you have alot of experience with rimfires so you shouldnt have any problems

..........just my opinion anyway ???

was under the impression that even an open certificate forced the holder to only shoot on pre-approved land,

no the holder of an open ticket can shoot on any land that they have permission on.

just ask them for what you think you will need and take it from there.

cant see you having any problems asking for a cf. if you have been a club member you will be well versed with all the safety aspects of shooting.do it Tuesday.

was under the impression that even an open certificate forced the holder to only shoot on pre-approved land,

no the holder of an open ticket can shoot on any land that they have permission on.

just having my fac renewed and had the visit from the firearms officer, he said now ive had my cert for 5 years it will become open so its upto me to decide if the lands safe, regardless, as long as i have permission from the land owners

just having my fac renewed and had the visit from the firearms officer, he said now ive had my cert for 5 years it will become open so its upto me to decide if the lands safe, regardless, as long as i have permission from the land owners

open ticket. good man. ???

I've had mine for nearly 7years but sadly it's all been target shooting so this won't apply to me :good: But, as said, I've got plenty of experience, been shooting for 14years 11 of which with .22 (including 2years competing internationally) and the last three with shotguns, so shouldn't have too much trouble :good:

Anyway, I'll put in an application for the change in club and for the land (which should be free) but believe it or not - I can't afford the £27 or whatever it is to apply for another gun at the moment! I'm already o.k. for a moderator, it's becoming popular with target shooting too to cut down on noise.

I'll maybe get the c/f for target shooting then ask to use it for pest controll too, might work in my favor, the fact that I've already got one when I ask to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, a bit of an update;

My mate's certificate says something along the lines of "to be used on land that the chief cunstable has deemed appropriate and that the holder has permision to shoot" Apparently his certificate will become "open / free" when it's renewed next - all being well of course.

So, as long as he's not telling porkeys, the land should already be o.k. :good: otherwise I've probably just dropped him in it! :lol: but I gave him plenty of chance to come clean so it'll be his own fault B)

I've just dropped my certificate and form off at the police h.q. so we'll see in a couple of months I suppose (that's how long anything else, re-newals, variations etc normally seems to take them!!) I've not bothered with the .223 just yet, I'll wait a year or two I think and hopefuly aquire some better land to shoot on.

Thanks for the advise anyway, I'll keep you posted ;)

A quick question though, what sort of questions is the flo likely to ask when he comes round?

My mate's certificate says something along the lines of "to be used on land that the chief cunstable has deemed appropriate and that the holder has permision to shoot" Apparently his certificate will become "open / free" when it's renewed next - all being well of course.

So, as long as he's not telling porkeys, the land should already be o.k. :good: otherwise I've probably just dropped him in it! B) but I gave him plenty of chance to come clean so it'll be his own fault ;)

If your mate is shooting on land that hasn't been inspected with that condition on his cert then he's committing a firearms offence. if he wants to keep ot and have it open on renewal he wants to stop shooting on there with firearms. unless of course the land HAS been approved. Why not ring the FLO and ask if the farm has been cleared as you've been given permission to shoot it and would like to apply for an FAC. It will get your name known to them and show you're trying to be responsible.

Dave

So, as long as he's not telling porkeys, the land should already be o.k. :sly: otherwise I've probably just dropped him in it! :P but I gave him plenty of chance to come clean so it'll be his own fault :lol:

If your mate is shooting on land that hasn't been inspected with that condition on his cert then he's committing a firearms offence. if he wants to keep ot and have it open on renewal he wants to stop shooting on there with firearms. unless of course the land HAS been approved. Why not ring the FLO and ask if the farm has been cleared as you've been given permission to shoot it and would like to apply for an FAC. It will get your name known to them and show you're trying to be responsible.

Dave

The flo knows me well, I've changed this, that and the other over the years and he knows about my past with rifle shooting so I should be fine.

What worries me is I know my mate has other land that he can use a .22 on (or at least people he knows signed to say so, but told him he wasn't to!) and he's one of those people who seems to talk a lot of cr*p.

Anyway, good suggestion ringing the flo but I didn't think of it and it's too late now :no:

wish me, and my friend, luck! :lol: