pyrodex vs black powder

After buying an old black powder hammer gun i am now looking at reloading the cartridges (£29 a box plus post!)

im questioning myself if it it worth the hassle getting a black powder certificate if I will be only using it occasionally, so im interested to find out more about pyrodex.

Is there a big difference in terms of their usage? as in performance, noise and smoke?

Cheers.

I find Pyrodex fine,,,just be very thorough washing out and cleaning the bores afterwards. West Yorks made such a fuss about me needing experience in loading black powder before they were willing to issue a certificate, despite me loading Pyrodex for some while now, I gave up that idea. They suggested I join a club for a while to gain the practice they felt I needed !

It doesn't produce as much smoke as black powder though.

I find Pyrodex fine,,,just be very thorough washing out and cleaning the bores afterwards. West Yorks made such a fuss about me needing experience in loading black powder before they were willing to issue a certificate, despite me loading Pyrodex for some while now, I gave up that idea. They suggested I join a club for a while to gain the practice they felt I needed !

It doesn't produce as much smoke as black powder though.

Thank you i suspected it would be easier!

Do you use a lee loadall to reload with pyrodex? I hear its not safe to use one with black powder.

Thank you i suspected it would be easier!

Do you use a lee loadall to reload with pyrodex? I hear its not safe to use one with black powder.

Like others have said,,just reload by volume,,,I use a cut down,used ,paper case for powder and shot.