rabbit skin for dummy

mosa

Hello there thanks for all who replied about skinning a rabbit. I now need to know what to do with the skin. I have removed it and just nailed it stretched out on my fence, not sure if i shold have done this. Please help as i need to convert this into a dummy :unsure:

Hello there thanks for all who replied about skinning a rabbit. I now need to know what to do with the skin. I have removed it and just nailed it stretched out on my fence, not sure if i shold have done this. Please help as i need to convert this into a dummy :unsure:

the baby will get fur balls :good:

Hi Mosa,

Rub loads of salt into the "wet" side every day for a week and keep screwing it up in your hands to prevent it going hard, peg it out to dry, repeat this every day and you should end up with a nice supple pelt.

To make a training dummy get some hession sacking and tie it into a sausage roll shape with a throwing toggle sticking out from one end, just smaller than the size of dummy you want to end up with, obviously smaller for a pups first dummy, tie the finished pelt around the hessian dummy it doesnt have to cover the dummy just enough to get the idea across, you might have enough to make one larger weighted dummy and a small one to start off with?

Good luck.

:good: D2D

Cheers for that. Does the smell go away eventually??? I heard they stunk but was supprised how much :unsure:

Yes use lots of salt and it will cure, but its the scent you want for training, is NTTF on holiday?

Afterthought have you scraped all the fat etc off?

:good: D2D

hi mosa are you training a gun dog or a lurcher mate as you

will need few training a running dog they soon start to become

soggy and quite offensive and a pup wil soon go off it but give them a

fresh one once in a while and ule be sorted i used to use hare pelts aswell.

cheers paddy.

• 3 weeks later...

I did my 1st rabbit skin yesterday. managed to get all the membrane off and it finished up looking a little like a shammy leather. I then rubbed loads of salt into it, pinned it out and left it to dry overnight but today, it has dried out alot but also has gone quite hard. I assume this is because I left the salt on overnight. I have now brushed it all off with water and pinned it out again. Mine doesn't smell in the slightest though :blush:

Really cannot believe the smell when gutting a rabbit though OMG!!! :):) :( :angry:

The longer you leave them before paunching the worse the smell. Best do them when they are still warm.

The smell puts some off, but make sure you are not nicking the intestines at all when you paunch, that really does stink :blush:

we did ours about 2 hours after getting them but believe it or not the insides were still warm??!! I didn't nick or split the stomach/intestines but it still stunk to high heaven. Had it for my tea tonight and was delicious hehe. :blush:

What do people use the skins for anyway? I just decided to keep mine because its the 1st rabbit Ive got with the ASir Ranger. :)

Got 6 pinned up at the moment, have been pinned for 2 weeks now.

What i tend to do, is pin the skin onto a board, scrap off the fat etc, then rub and leave about a mm of salt all over the skin.

Ill then leave it untill i think its ready, and then scrap off the dried sinues/skin to make the skin flexible.

Alex

:stupid:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you will be able to 'scrape' the fat off mate. It kind of peels off. I ended up with mine looking like a shammy leather when I had peeled it all off and it was almost dry straigt away. I put alot of salt on and it made it go really stiff. I washed all the salt off (as it had really stuck) and then didn't re-use any salt, just hung it and kept scrunching it. It has gone really nice now. Only took about 3 days to completely dry :good:

I've always used a mix of Alum & Borax rather than salt for curing skins of various animals & birds (spot the flytyer!). I think one is a preservative & the other an antiseptic but it seems to work well. I got the instructions from a very old edition of Trout & Salmon & bought the ingredients at the local chemist about 30 years ago! God knows if they will still sell them though - probably some health & safety issue with it now.