Pointing not aiming........?

Si-Bore

I am getting the hang of the 'pointing' not 'aiming' my shotgun but its taking a while to stop shooting it like a rifle (aiming). When you shoot a rabbit thats stationary do you guys actually use the nib to 'point' at the target or ignore it and point it as if it is an extention of your body without looking down the rib to the nib? Hmmmmmmm.... :stupid: Also do you use the nib on moving targets such as birds moving across you? Is the rib/nib just a rough guide until you get acustomed to where its pointing or is it a 'pointing' aid?

Cheers

Simon

i found that with the shottie if i even tried to aim i would miss by a mile!!. if the gun fits you well then you should be able to keep your eyes on the target and follow it and then fire without thinking about it. as for stationary rabbits i tend to point and fire and i get them every time. i found that clay shooting got my eye adjusted to the shottie quickly. i always shot the rifle before so it was a different ball game to me but i have learned quickly.

I am getting the hang of the 'pointing' not 'aiming' my shotgun but its taking a while to stop shooting it like a rifle (aiming). When you shoot a rabbit thats stationary do you guys actually use the nib to 'point' at the target or ignore it and point it as if it is an extention of your body without looking down the rib to the nib? Hmmmmmmm.... :stupid: Also do you use the nib on moving targets such as birds moving across you? Is the rib/nib just a rough guide until you get acustomed to where its pointing or is it a 'pointing' aid?

Cheers

Simon

simon when shooting sttionary rabbits, rats,etc.. place the bead(nib) just below the target,this depends on distance, usually 25/ 30 yards, enough time for your pattern to open, thats how i was taught, and it works for me .As for crossers you will instinctivly watch the Bird/Target, with your eyes while moving the barrell,if you look down the rib, i beleive you should see the rib running up to the bead & if there is a centre bead the end bead should look like its sat on the centre bead ( figure of eight ).this should obviously be in front of the bird/target, giving it lead, Thats my way of looking at it simon, and its worked for 20 years!

Good shotgun fit.

Point and pull.

My shotgun fits me OK, will have it adjusted eventually but I know how it's off so I automatically by now adjust for that.

It'll sound odd but I tried aiming at clays first few times I tried them. Couldn't hit a bloody thing, was awful, I mean REAL BAD.

Then, I just started (it'll sound odd) ignoring the bead and rib and letting myself just "do" rather than think about then do. Improved dramatically almost instantly. Kept my eyes on the target and let muscle memory take over and raise and fire.

My shotgun also shoots a little high.

That's what works for me anyway.

Thanks guys! I find that my shotgun shoots quite alot lower than where I aim and since 'pointing' it in the direction, my hits on stationary targets are about 90% and improving constantly. Just need some clay action to get used to passing birds! :stupid: Was practising in front of my mirror to make sure I am pointing at the right level i.e. pointing at my right eye (above the rib) and getting the hold repeatedly in the same position each time.

Cheers

Simon

Use your cheek bone as the anchor point on your face. Bringing the gun up to your cheek bone will give you a fixed point and ensure a consistent mount. Close your eyes, mount the gun, open eyes, repeat several times. This will help you figure out if you're using your eyes to find the right place to mount the gun or if you are mounting the gun in a natural place for your body. If you find you can't see the rib then maybe you need a comb raiser / stock adjustment.

I came up with this idea & it worked:

I lodged a green laser pen in the barrel & used it to calibrate where I was THINKING I was to where I ACTUALLY was & it worked.This was Against some tall conifer trees at evening so I could see the laser in mid-air as a beam. It would work with red lasers but you'd only see the end dot & these are low power - mine can go 6 miles. :(

I might patent this idea..... :lol:

I think it is a very good idea to get the hang of where the gun is pointed! I was actually thinking of where I'd get the lend of a cheap lazer pen to try it! :) There will be some deviation due to patterning etc but its a great starting point! :))

I am getting the hang of the 'pointing' not 'aiming' my shotgun but its taking a while to stop shooting it like a rifle (aiming). When you shoot a rabbit thats stationary do you guys actually use the nib to 'point' at the target or ignore it and point it as if it is an extention of your body without looking down the rib to the nib? Hmmmmmmm.... :) Also do you use the nib on moving targets such as birds moving across you? Is the rib/nib just a rough guide until you get acustomed to where its pointing or is it a 'pointing' aid?

Cheers

Simon

with a shotgun eyes 95 % on the taget and 5% seeing the rib/ in otherwords forget the rib and concentrate

on the target

The laser works ok, but for me, a Maglite solitaire torch (Tiny one which takes a single AAA battery) wrapped a few times with masking tape and inserted into the breech, gives a great sight picture, and also helps visualise the spread better. Good for using indoors too just to practice getting a smooth swinging action.