grey crows

Ballymac

Around my area at the moment farmers are getting the first cut in, boys in Ulster know what I mean, so came home from work, big field in front of my house had just been cut and grass collected so went out about 7.15pm with 6 crow decoys on ezzy wobblers hid in the hedge and 20 mins later shot 10 only to discover when I rounded them up 8 were greys. Although only 1 was fully matured. But still glad to get rid of them.

From past experience you couold shoot 1 or 2 grey crows in a field and the rest would stay away, and not come back, but in this case i was surprised how many were greys, albeit 7 of them were younger less experienced birds

Do you guys that shoot crows find more greys coming into a field that has been freshly mowed?

Have picture but cant seem to resize even tried downloading various applications :lol: Got picture posted in other thread

Around my area at the moment farmers are getting the first cut in, boys in Ulster know what I mean, so came home from work, big field in front of my house had just been cut and grass collected so went out about 7.15pm with 6 crow decoys on ezzy wobblers hid in the hedge and 20 mins later shot 10 only to discover when I rounded them up 8 were greys. Although only 1 was fully matured. But still glad to get rid of them.

From past experience you couold shoot 1 or 2 grey crows in a field and the rest would stay away, and not come back, but in this case i was surprised how many were greys, albeit 7 of them were younger less experienced birds

Do you guys that shoot crows find more greys coming into a field that has been freshly mowed?

Have picture but cant seem to resize even tried downloading various applications :( Got picture posted in other thread

Can't see from the pic too well but are you sure those young crows aren't Jackdaws? That might explain the numbers. Otherwise put it down to young/stupid birds that won't now grow up to know better next time :lol:

Highlander I was putting it down to young stupid birds, but I know they were not jackdaws as I had shot 2 of them that nite, but not in the picture (picture posted in the sporting picture thread btw)

Done a quick google on grey crow and found the below info

This is a direct quote from a RSPB site

The hooded crow is closely related to the carrion crow, which until recently was regarded as the same species. In areas where the two species overlap there may be some interbreeding with hybrids showing a mixed grey and black body plumage. Like carrion crows, hoodies also feed on dead animals. Unlike crows they can be more sociable in the feeding habits and groups of them may be seen together in fields.

I have seen mention before on this site that crows are solitary birds, but I have seen many grey crows in small groups of up to 10 birds. It seems to bring into question the identification of what has been shot, whether jackdaws rooks or crows. While I would agree crows tend to be more solitary they too have been seen in smaller sized groups at certain times of the year.

That might explain the numbers.

Seen 40-50 greycrows feeding together up around Conors, they're sometimes seen in bunches of 30-40 down around my way. And yes I mean they're greycrows, some are in the sporting pics section :yp: Flying no more.

Is it not a bit early for crows to have hatched and matured enough to leave the nest :lol:

A fair few have left the nests around here already, not all but a good number. I blame Mungler and his 4x4 :( (Kidding)