Choke tightening?

Si-Bore

After the first outing with my newly purchased Beretta A303 (which I love!) I noticed whilst cleaning it that the choke was slightly loose. I 'nipped' it up again. Being new to shotguns I realise there is only a small amount of torque I could get on it without the key slipping. Is it ok tap it in (with my hand) and to turn it until the key slips slightly to ensure it is firm enough?

Cheers

Si

There are two types of key, friction and keyed. Sounds like you have the friction type. Notice the chokes have 4 large notches equally spaced around them? The "key" type slots into those and you can get them tighter.

Just a guess, but it might be that. Make sure you keep a drop, not much more, of oil on the threads of the chokes to stop them ceasing in there :blush:

Cheers mate! That was my next question. I thought it must be for a key on the end. I definately have the friction key if thats the choices! I'll keep an eye on it and nip it up as much as I can with the current key (which isn't much tension) for the moment!

Thanks for your advice. :blush:

Si

not to undermine pin, but please dont use oil on your tubes, it burns and cooks in, this is why peolpe have to end up using a lot of force when removing tubes, mostly you will find field shooters more than target shooters have problems , this because of the frequency of use, use a very very small amount of ughhhhhhh i hate this word " grease" if you must, or a dry lube for them, remove frequently and check for damage, replace if required, throw old ones out they will only cause you grief otherwise.

Martin

Fair comment martin, I always use a drop of oil to aid when removing.

Not to contradict you in any way but I have never noticed the oil having burnt, only get coked up with soot. I take my chokes out a lot, and clean them every time I use them (for how long I will keep that up remains to be seen) so perhaps someone cleaning less than that might see a problem..

no worries mate, just having spent many hours over the years removing solid tubes from over oiled/greased guns its become an ongoing life long mission to get peolpe to treat their guns right, loike wot i fink i duz :/ , ive had all sorts of stuck frozen locked in tubes to remove form all sorts of guns, ive even had a gun with tempered blue marks where a torch has been applied, to no avail i hasten to add, try telling some poor fella his gun barrels are toast after a mate tried to fix it, constant or consistant removal for cleaning will prevent this, another thing is obviously dont screw them in with a snipe/pipe on the key, its easier to nip them up during a days shooting than have them surgicaly removed by a shop, its cheaper too :lol:

no offence intended Pin :/ happy shooting

Martin

I used to use oil until Martin put me on to this dry lube stuff. The chokes go in and out much more smoothly now, and also don't come loose very often like they used to. I don't know why it works so well but it does, and you don't have the problem of dirt binding in the oil either. My hinge pins move more smoothly too, as they get a light coat of it after cleaning. I use Hoppes 9 Dri-lube. Great stuff :/