Retrieving pigeon - first time

Bungle

Hi everyone, have just been out with my pointer to do her first pigeon retrieve. She's 10 months old and can retrieve dummies to hand with no problems.

I let her have a sniff of the pigeon, walked out about 30yds and then back to the dog and sent her to retrieve it. She came half way back the first time and then dropped it. I walked it back out and sent her out again, this time she picked it up and retrieved it to hand....lots of praise. I know, I know, I should have stopped at this point, but tried it one more time...again she dropped it half way back to me.

She seems to only be comfortable with it in her mouth if the wings aren't flopping around, so next time I'll hold them back to the body with an elastic band until she's more comfortable.

So any advice you guys have would be appreciated with the transfer from dummies to real birds. I'm pretty happy with her as it was her first time with real game...how did everyone else get on?

Thanks. :blush:

Bungle,

An elastic is an excellant idea and a very wise move. spread the wings around the body so that they cover the smaller body feathers , this will keep them from pulling out in her mouth. The small feathers are the number one reason dogs being introduced to birds will drop. Take your time with her, and inbetween working with birds you may want to use some wings taped to your bumper. This will also help to build her confidance on feather.

NTTF

Thanks for the advice guys. I have taped some tail feathers to the dummy, but like you say, it's the little 'downy' type feathers that she was spitting out. When she retrieved to hand properly she loved the fuss she got and kept wanting the pigeon again....that's why I thought I'd try one more time albeit unsuccessfully.

I think the issue with her was that once she'd dropped it and the wings had flapped out, she was struggling to pick it up by the body again..she'll get the knack of it I'm sure!

I'll keep putting a pigeon in the mix once a week or something like that now...I want to keep her keen!

Thanks for the advice guys. I have taped some tail feathers to the dummy, but like you say, it's the little 'downy' type feathers that she was spitting out. When she retrieved to hand properly she loved the fuss she got and kept wanting the pigeon again....that's why I thought I'd try one more time albeit unsuccessfully.

I think the issue with her was that once she'd dropped it and the wings had flapped out, she was struggling to pick it up by the body again..she'll get the knack of it I'm sure!

I'll keep putting a pigeon in the mix once a week or something like that now...I want to keep her keen!

Hi B, when I had this problem I overcame it by putting the pigeon retrieves in a nylon "popsock" and knotted it, this also made it easier to throw further, soon we were able to do away with the covering and problem seemed to be resolved, hope this helps.

:blush: D2D