Springer Contest....

dr3w1986

Which of these do you guys think is better out of these two springers?:

1. Weihrauch HW97K mkII
  2. Air Arms TX200 mkIII

According to both airgunbuyer.com (Blackpool Air Rifles) and many, many people on reviewcentre.com, these are two of the best (if not the best) springers currently on the market. Both are underlevers, both have built-in silencers, and both are a bit hefty (supposedly helping to control the recoil).

So hence I put it up to debate. German verses British engineering :good: . Please put aside any feelings of predjudice and patriotism, I want this to be a good clean fight :oops::lol::oops:

Also, another question to consider, which is quieter?

Something else I noticed on reviewcentre, a few people found that their new TX200's were slighlty overpowered, at around 13 ft lbs. Is this common? :lol:

swings and roundabouts I'm afraid :good:

both have good and bad points

finish and stocks-both have very good bluing although the airarms have been known to deteriorate when not oiled regularly. i prefer the tx stock shape although the new laser cut fish scale chequering might not be everyones cup of tea.

trigger-out of the box the weihrauch wins hands down, the reckord trigger is stunning and makes the tx's feel very cheap in comparison. however, a few hours with and Arkansas stone and a dremmil and you can get the airarms unit perfect. i also fitted a Pete Dutton match post and blade trigger to mine and its now stunning to use.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1220/guns012largexd3.jpg

internals-the weihrauch is basic, usually the springs have been roughly cut off to get down to the uk limit and they are packed with grease. the tx is also packed with cheap grease and both will benefit hugely from a proper strip and relube by the time you have put 1000 pellets through. the tx piston runs on synthetic bearings which puts it in a far higher state of tune out of the box and you will pay between £75-180 to get the weihrauch piston machined in this way.

both guns have ill fitting spring guides and this is the reason they go all twangy after 1000 pellets, i prefer the airarms piston seals but would change the seal in any springer i owned.

if you were buying a springer for hunting/plinking and didn't want spend further cash then i think the tx is the winner, it just works that much better out of the box.

if using them for competition then its a bit harder to decide, with a delrin spring guide and some trigger work the tx becomes very good. the hw97 when v-glided by v-mach becomes the perfect springer but also an expensive proposition and as much cash as many mid range pcp's.

i suggest you try and shoot both before you part with your cash and see which feels right, a good place is your local gun club and most shooters will happily let you try their guns. if you can make the journey the uk spring gun championships is taking place this sunday morning at www.lvagc.com in hertfordshire, it would be a good place to check out the various spring guns on the market.

hope this helps a bit

ben(tx200hc and hw98)

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5620/guns154largelm8.jpg

the hw97 when v-glided by v-mach becomes the perfect springer but also an expensive proposition and as much cash as many mid range pcp's.

V-glided? I've seen the V-Mach tuning kits, is that what you mean? They're currently £64.95 from airgunbuyer.com, which doesn't seem too much to me :lol:

Anyhow thanks for the replies so far, now I've gotta go help the girlfriend move some furniture :good: and then I'm off to the gym, so I shant be on here until later.

the hw97 when v-glided by v-mach becomes the perfect springer but also an expensive proposition and as much cash as many mid range pcp's.

V-glided? I've seen the V-Mach tuning kits, is that what you mean? They're currently £64.95 from airgunbuyer.com, which doesn't seem too much to me :stupid:

Anyhow thanks for the replies so far, now I've gotta go help the girlfriend move some furniture :stupid: and then I'm off to the gym, so I shant be on here until later.

the v-mach kit contains a spring, a guide, a top hat(a little spring guide that sits at the front) and some grease.

a v-glide apart from other things gets slots machined into your piston so bearings can be fitted(the tx has these from new) look at the 11th pic down here for the tx bearings http://users.skynet.be/mario.severi/airgun...00%20strip.html

and here is a '97 piston above and a v-glide piston below

PDRM0819r.JPG

note the black bearings round the piston, these stop any metal to metal contact and make the gun shoot a damm sight sweeter.

hope that explains the difference

ben

Ah I get you now. I don't suppose you know how much the v-glide system costs then?, you said it was expensive but didn't mention a figure.

I would also assume you'd have to contact V-Mach directly for this, as I've not seen any mention of the v-glide system on any retail websites.

Anyhow, we seem to have gotten slightly off-topic. I'd appreciate if maybe a few more owners of either rifle could post any more info about their weapons.

As everyone has said it a personal choice thing... However Friend of mine has a TX200HC and I have a HW97k we have had them for about 3 years. Both are very accurate and well made although the adjustable rekord trigger on HW wins hands down. (Although the gold paint does come off of the trigger blade with regular use).

The main difference I have found is even though both get a regular rub over with an oily cloth the TX shows more signs of small rust spots through the blueing, then the HW. The HW also has some but it is much more noticeable on the TX.

There was an issue about the quality of the Air Arms blueing about two years ago, it was all over the forums.

I think they have resolved it now though.

nope :sick: a mate bought a tx200 two weeks ago and used it on sunday in the springer championships, it has lost about 3cm2 of blueing on the forend and i'm still not sure if its going to be replaced for him.

although i love my gun to bits i have to say its hard to recomend air arms until i find out what they are going to do about this, as the last person i know to have a blueing fault on a tx had to wait 9 months and threaten court action to get it sorted.

i will update this thread when i know what happens :good:

ben