Scopes and Rifles

Guest GeorgeH

Guest georgehare

Got a call from the firarms officer the other day saying that i'll get FAC through in about 2 weeks. Going to buy .17hmr before the .243 so need to make some descisions. Im thinking of getting a CZ american or varmint. Was looking at the 16'' barrel but been told it affects the energy more than i thought. Spoke to someone that says they have a 19'' heavy barrelled CZ has any one else heard of this ? Other questions are:

- Which is best 16'', 21'' or 19'' if avaliable ?

- Which is best heavy or normal barrel ?

- Which 3-9x50 scopes are suitable and good value for money, have been looking at the hawke endurance MAP and Frontier but not sure if they are any good.

- Which moderator is better ASE Utra or PES (not sure of the model name)

Thanks GH :good:

i use a 15" barreled HMR and dont notice any power loss (niether do the rabbits at 150yrds) - but according to varmintal's site you lose about 50ft per second (not that bad cosidering bullet is doing 2500 ft per second) and you dont really need a heavy barrel as they are not in the same league as a centre fire rifle .

buy a scope with a bit more power ~ 4-16 x 50mm minimum i would say. and you cant get any better than an ASE Utra ( belive me iv'e tried them all):good:

correct me if i am wrong but any change in ballistics would be minimal to almolst non existant, i think some people perfer longer or shorter barrels for balance to there body size and so you should hold the diferent models to figure out what you like, the only other place barrel size and diameter may be considerd is for bench rest and prone shooting where a heavy gun takes the recoil and jerking better than a ultralight thin barrel cheers mate those CZ are good shooters :good:

Good choice on the CZ they are a very good rifle and the most popular.

Barrels come in 16" or 21" you friend refering to 19" on measured from the silencer to the reciver he forgot to measure the threaded part which would be covered by the moderator and the reciever on both ends so his is a 21"

The loss is velocity is minimal until you go below 12" i think most of the energy comes from the first couple of inches and the rest is just burning off excess powder.

Accuracy wise 16" is as good as 21" (accuracy is not effected by length) heavy barrel will be the same as normal rimfires dont heat up very much unless your shooting alot. I chose the varmint as i liked the look and balance.

For moderator SAK is the way to go or a ASE utra claim an added 10% reducdion in noise but are double the price.

Scope i went for a hawke varmint 6-24x50 you will really benifit from something 16x ++ on a hmr as it will make those long shots that bit easier.

But any hawke are well up to the task they offer very good scopes for very little money. I haven't heard of any giving trouble.

i use a 15" barreled HMR and dont notice any power loss (niether do the rabbits at 150yrds) - but according to varmintal's site you lose about 50ft per second (not that bad cosidering bullet is doing 2500 ft per second) and you dont really need a heavy barrel as they are not in the same league as a centre fire rifle .

buy a scope with a bit more power ~ 4-16 x 50mm minimum i would say. and you cant get any better than an ASE Utra ( belive me iv'e tried them all):good:

i use a cz heavy 16 barrel with a sak moderater, together wit 3-9x50 dowling and rowe scope, great out to 120 yards, but then would benifit from more magnification, may change scope in near future

Use a 6x42 Scmidt on my stalking rifle. It was good under the moon when on my .223 for fox so I wouldn't worry about the light gathering aspect. However depending on the environment you are going to be shooting deer in i.e. wood or fields, I would go for the 8x56.

An 8x56 or higher mag is on my list but the 6x42 is the PM model so I am reluctant to stop using it at the moment.

George

It rather depends on what you are going to be using the rifle mostly for. If its lamping several times a week and only the occasional deer then go for the 8x56, however if you will be mostly stalking and carrying the rifle around I would save the weight and size and go for the 6x42.

Charlie

>You dont want to tell folk you are shooting deer in the moonlight - its illegal you know

Put like that it did sound dodgy!

It used to be on my .223 for fox before I put a bigger mag scope on that hence how I know it is good under the moon. Apologies if I came accross as a *** :good: