Case Cleaning

A whole load of people on the bbs bought the Lidl/Aldi ones when they were on offer and seemed to get very good results.

They had all gone by the time I got to the shop, but I have used 50/50 vinegar/water to very good affect.

They come out much cleaner than running them through the tumbler my mate has as a comparison, so adding the ultrasonic affect it would be even better.

There are articles on American sites about there use.

EDIT.

Here you go, found the article:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

For balance, I've got an industrial one at work and find it to be bloody useless for brass. I think that may be due to the fluid not being aggressive enough - which leads me to suspect that the mix Stuart mentions is more to thank for the results people are getting that the machine itself.

I'll be sticking to my tumbler!

I have tried all sorts and still consider the tumbler the best method.

The results are often down to the type of medium you use. I generally prefer the walnut shell and choose the RCBS green or the Lyman Red.

The Lyman media is more aggressive then The RCBS for general cleaning and is the one I tend to use the most simply because it lasts the longest when contaminated by lubricant from case sizing.

I always wash the cases first but some lube always remains and over a period of time will clog the media.

Corn Cob media is great for final polishing if you want perfect cases but they will still discolour overnight from the oils and sweat in your hands so if you are not intending to use them quickly alway wear a pair of surgical rubber gloves when handling cleaned cases.

If you are really cost conscious you can wash your media and then re impregnate it with some of the RCBS rouge / additive. Its never quite so good as the sharp edges soon wear off and although the rouge will work the scraping effect that you get with new media has gone.

Change media about every 30 tumblings.

But remember I tumble 150 -200 .308 cases (or equiv) per tumbling.

One note of caution.

ALWAYS ENSURE THE PRIMER HOLE IS CLEAR OF MEDIA BEFORE RELOADING