Yer man

No, not what you’re thinking. I’m hoping that the PW massive can advise on how to polish out file/sanding marks on a new buttplate for my MK70.

Briefly, I managed to crack the original buttplate (dropped it on a tiled floor as I was putting it back in the cabinet – doh!). It’s that Bakelite-type plastic with BC Miroku embossed on it. I’ve sourced a new one which is almost but not quite the same size – it fits the stock perfectly except at the toe, where it protrudes over the stock by a couple of mm. To get a perfect fit at the toe, I’ll have to file or sand down the new buttplate, which is easily done. But that will obviously dull the shiny Bakelite finish on that part of the edge of plate, even with the finest sandpaper.

So before I start I thought I would ask if anyone knows how to restore the finish to what it should be.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

YerMan

Blimey, that Micromesh stuff is astonishing. I am very far from skilled in these matters but after using W&D as JJsDad suggested, I only had to do a light wiping with each pad in turn and I ended up with an amazing finish. You wouldn't believe the buttplate had been anywhere near a file.

For anyone else interested, I got mine from gc_abrasives via the Bay of E code no 232107061319. They might seem expensive but they're well worth it.

Thanks again chaps.

YM