UFC 217 Bisping vs St Pierre

Danger-Mouse

If none of the fights are cancelled this is looking like a great card with 3 belts on the line.

We might as well start with the ME, Bisping vs St Pierre.

Interesting to see George coming back after a 4 year lay off. Clearly he believes Bisping is the easiest title shot as well as giving George wins at two different weights and (unnecessarily) cementing George as an MMA legend.

However George is returning after a 4 year layoff and Bisping is one mean SOB with no quit in him. Bisping is probably the most underated fighter in the UFC despite the fact he has the most wins and has only ever lost to juiced opponents, At the press conference Bisping looked huge by comparison and although I know he's overweight atm I still think his size and striking give him a huge edge in the fight. George's only chance is to get the fight to the ground and smother Bisping. However Mike has proved time after time that he is excellent at recovering from takedowns. Mike has exceptional striking and cardio and I think he will prove too much for George.

For me Bisping wins on points or by KO.

Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw

I don't really know how this one will go. If Cody performs as he did against Dominic Cruz then he will be very hard to beat. This time however he's the champ and that brings extra pressure.

TJ couldn't beat Cruz and that has to make Cody the favourite.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of either fighter but on preference I'd marginally go for TJ. I suspect though that Cody will take the win.

Joanna Jędrzejczyk vs Rose Namajunas

I know Rose is tough and skilled but how can you bet against the champ given her past record? Joanna just has it all and as long as her hunger has still remained then it's tough to see her losing.

KO or points for Joanna.

Finally a few wortds about last weekend's UFC 216. An outstanding performance by Mighty Mouse, dominating in strikes and ground control before finishing in the 5th with that ridiculous arm bar. Demetrius now has a record number of title defences and is arguably the pound for pound best fighter and G.O.A.T.

A nice win for Tony Ferguson to take the interim belt and set up the next match with Conor. That should be a very interesting fight.

Now then DM, do you or anyone else know why Gsp went walk about? I never looked into it but always found it strange.

I hope Mr B walks through him and puts on a striking clinic, we all no George is no slouch but when someone's come back fight is a title fight I think it de values the belt.

Now then DM, do you or anyone else know why Gsp went walk about? I never looked into it but always found it strange.

I hope Mr B walks through him and puts on a striking clinic, we all no George is no slouch but when someone's come back fight is a title fight I think it de values the belt.

Well, his last fight was against Johnny Hendricks and a lot of people (including myself) thought George lost. Certainly it was very close and George definitely took a beating, perhaps the worst of his career. I'm purely speculating but I think George knew he had run it close and perhaps he realised he was mentally tired and possibly lacked some of the hunger he had in earlier fights. He knew it was better to step away as a winner and preserve his legend.

I don't really have any problem with George fighting for a belt on his return. He never officially lost his own title and he is one of the greats of MMA. There's no way he has to prove himself again to have a title shot. I'm not sure it's great for him to come in at a higher weight but as I said I think George thinks Bisping is an easier option than Woodley who holds George's former title.

What some people forget is that Bisping has fought, and I believe is undefeated, as a light heavyweight. He moved down to welterweight because he was a small LHW, but that makes him a very big WW. I've no doubt George can put on extra weight but how will that affect his performance? It could easily hurt his cardio and cost him speed, and no matter what weight he puts on he will still be the smaller, lighter fighter on the night.

George's key to victory has to be taking Bisping down and smothering him. I just don't see how he can stand and trade with Mike.

Interestingly the two of them used to train together and Mike happily admits that George used to dominate him in the wrestling. However as Mike says, that was a long time ago and he's not the same fighter he was back then. I can see George having a few successful takedowns but I can't see him keeping Mike down, especially once they're both slippery with sweat.

Bisping has said he wants a quick finish and I can't see it going past 3 rounds.

I know what you mean about George being a legend but no one ever does well on a come back fight after a big lay off, so for me bisping beats him and everyone says yeah but he's been away for 4 years, that also reflects poorly on George

I agree, very tough to come back after such a long layoff.

Interestingly GSP is currently the slight favourite with the bookies to win the fight.

Just watched the first 26 mins, I was at Manchester with the misses for the Kang fight was a really good night up in the gods.

Always forget just how brutal the Hendo knock out was till you see it again, ouch ouch ouch.

I'll be watching the reply on Sunday 😊