Section 1 Firearms

Browning

I'm just applying for my section 1, and will probably apply for a .22 rimfire for rabbits and a .223 centrefire for the foxes, and will be over the 1000 acres

that I currently shoot, which has been passed for .22/250.

I had a section 1 previousely, with .22, .222 and .22/250 on it, but gave it up about 6 years ago when I moved "down south".

(My land was in Yorkshire and I moved to Northamptonshire. The Northants police were very arsey about my guns and I being 150 miles away from my shooting land, so I gave it up for an easy life)

Anyway, I now live in Thames Valley region, but haven't been here long enough to know any one for the stipulated 2 years for references. I don't have a doctor, I've never met the bank manager etc etc.

Has anyone any recommendations as to what "type" of person will be OK for my references ? Can it just be friends that have known me for over 2 years ? Or would it be better to get someone in authority ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Guest Mr Pieman

Browning,

you'll find for your Section 1 the police actually don't want Bank Managers etc. The perfect reference is someone that has known you for a very long time and will know about your personal life. They will be asked if you are mad etc - how woould the banke manager know? And the doctor couldn't say without your express permission.

Pick a couple of long term friends and they should do just fine :lol: And they don't need to live in the same county either, so use friends from Yorks if you so wish :lol:

Best of luck.

PP

Guest Mr Pieman

Webber,

having an 'open' condition won't remove the need for a named piece of land. The named land is given as your 'reason to possess'. All it removes is the need for any ADDITIONAL land to be assessed as suitable by the holder, rather than the Firearms Enquiry Officer :lol:

PP

Webber,

It may be that my local firearms office was having a bad day with me :<

I guess they thought it unreasonable for me to want to travel 150 miles

for a nights foxing. (Not that unreasonable really, no matter how much you like foxing!)

I know plenty of people that have named land in Scotland for deer stalking calibers

and live in England, but no-one that has .22 vermin control/foxing calibers.

May i ask a question of PP. If a farm for the want of a better term for a piece of land, is deemed safe by an open cert holder. Does it have to be inspected by a fac officer if one put that land down on an application. As any land that has a cert already using it does not have to be inspected.

Guest Mr Pieman

TC, I think the question is this:

If a person holding an open ticket has assessed a piece of land and deemed it suitable, is is still inspected if someone then asks for that land to be used as their 'named land to show good reason for possession'?

The answer would be 'yes it still needs to be inspected by the FEO'. The reason being that the open ticket holder does not need to notify the police of areas of land they have cleared as suitable to shoot over, so the police wouldn't have a record of its suitability. However, if the land has been previously cleared by the police (and it was cleared for use with the appropriate calibre of rifle being applied for) the police won't revisit the site prior to accepting it as 'approved'. However, if the land was cleared for .22 and you want to use a .243 they will almost ceretainly re assess the land.

Hope that makes sense!!

PP

My first 'semi-open' certificate did not have a 'named' piece of land, but it did not allow me to self-certify a piece of land. It just said the land had to have already been certified or was already being shot over by a similar calibre weapon.

If I used it at sea(.22) I could only fire toward land if the cliffs were over 100 feet high or I was more than a mile away!