Kids Car Insurance - Heads Up

Cosd

Heads up post more than anything else.

I know when I was there with both my girls starting driving just 6 months apart, car insurance is a real hard pill to swallow. The costs are eye watering to say the least.

In short, I paid around £1600 each for them both on Fiat 500's, 1.2l engines, through a company called Smart Miles and with a black box; Fully comp and loads of extra's, breakdown, replacing lost keys etc etc.

After the first year renewals came in at just over £500 with all the extra's and keeping the black box. Just had one of their renewals come in again (3rd year renewals) and price was £460 which was just £20 more than the cheapest quote I could find on any of the comparison websites. 

Considering how insurance companies work now, I was quite pleased with this and had no issue paying what they asked for.

Cos

Yes, insurance costs are a little mad, leading to a lot of uninsured drivers taking to the roads and risking the menial fine rather than fork out the thousands for insurance. My first insurance cost me around £120 for a mk1 fiesta back in the late eighties!! A young chap at work passed his test, bought himself a little pug 106 for £250. Insurance quotation was for near £4K!

get caught and a hundred pounds or so in fines? 

Insurance should be around £1k on a probationary understanding. Have an accident? THEN put it up! If not then it comes down incrementally each year say £100 the first year £100 the second, £200 the third etc! But we need to break the trend of extortionate prices that make these kids take to the roads without it.