Hi! All you knowledgeable people out there . I have a couple of deactivated OLD SPEC deactivated weapons complete with proof house certificates as part of a private militeria collection. I am told to own these is not illegal. But I could not offer them for sale in the future unless I have them re-deactivated to the new UK/EU spec. I have costed this out to remain legal, but now find that militeria and gun dealers on the web  are offering for sale OLD SPEC deactivated  weapons with full moving parts the same as I own . This is confusing, please can you advise. I would appreciate your wealth of knowledge. Thanks Reno

43 minutes ago, Reno said:

I am told to own these is not illegal. But I could not offer them for sale in the future unless I have them re-deactivated to the new UK/EU spec.

There are a number of articles on the web suggesting what you have been told is correct. I wouldnt pay to much attention to dealers on the web advertising stuff to the old spec, there was a `company` advertising on Gunstar to the old spec, who when a buyer enquired promptly owned up that there would be an additional charge to have it brought to the latest spec & re-certified by the proof house(s) prior to sale. Link below is worth a read:

https://www.militaria-history.co.uk/articles/new-deactivation-law-comes-into-force

Also:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/deactivated-firearms-implementing-regulation-eu-20152403

Edited by JJsDad
Additional link

JJsDad. Thank you so much for your very informative reply it clears up my confusion, I can now proceed with re-proofing . Sad that some dealers etc should try to mislead potential buyers. But I suppose that's life, another sales ploy. Thanks again. Reno

14 minutes ago, Reno said:

clears up my confusion

I have inserted a further link to my original comments. Probably worth a read before racing off to the proof house.

The following is a quote by a dealer advertising on the web:

"The weapon is currently the old spec so I cannot sell it as it is, so it must be updated to the new specifications before I can sell it / pass it over to the new owner. Once I have an interested buyer and I know you 100% want it I will get it booked in / take it somewhere to be get that done before you come and collect it. "

Edited by JJsDad

Hi! All you knowledgeable people , once again your assistance would be very much appreciated. Having contacted several dealers who would undertake re-proofing OLD SPEC deacts to the new UK / EU spec. I have been informed by one that they would purchase my OLD SPEC deacts and re-proof them prior too resale. I see it as myself having 3 choices as follows.

1. Keep the deacts in my private collection , do not offer them for sale , remain legal and enjoy them as part of my collection.

2. Have them re-proofed from the OLD SPEC to comply with the new UK / EU spec, then I could legally offer them for sale under the regulations should I wish to do so.

3. Offer them for sale to the dealer as OLD  SPEC, which I believe may be considered as an illegal act under the regulations.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Many Thanks. Reno

Option 2 sounds like a possibly expensive option until you have had a quotation for the work to bring the weapon up to the latest standard, you have then got to add the proof house charges on top of that. Not knowing how many de-acts you have got that require work makes it impossible to tell if you are heading for an outlay of £80 to £100 or several hundred. Any dealer will want to examine each weapon in order to access what further work needs doing to bring it to the latest spec. Only you can decide whether you want to retain them in their current de-act state or you are likely, at some time in the future to want to sell them.

I would approach a reputable dealer and get him to provide a quotation to carry out the necessary work and submit for examination by the proof house. Once you have a figure to go on the picture of what you want to do will probably be much clearer.

Option 3 - You will have to seek the dealers advice. I havent read every single line of the legislation; however, unless your collection contains some rare item`s dont expect to be offered a small fortune. Dealers dont like handing over wads of cash for something that might sit on their rack for months on end.

Hi! JJsDad, Once again many thanks for your invaluable reply and sound advice. I now believe I am more in favour of option 2 to have the deacts  re-proofed in line with legislative compliance erring on the phrase ' stay legal ' and have contacted a reputable registered dealer who has offered advise and a ball park figure. I am now in the process of making a suitable appointment to visit the dealer for further  advice and will let you know what he suggests. In the mean time very best wishes and thanks again. Reno

Not my area but I seem to remember a article I read a few weeks ago that the eu is trying to get another change to the deac laws so all guns that have been updated to the latest laws will need to be deactvated even more and sent back again for re proof, might be worth checking on the net and waiting if possible to save all this silly reproofing. 

2 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

that the eu is trying to get another change to the deac laws so all guns that have been updated to the latest laws will need to be deactvated even more and sent back again for re proof,

I think you will find they are not just trying; the UK has already adopted the EU legislation.

http://dwsuk.org/Deactivated-Weapons-FAQ

Edited by JJsDad
Link added

Thanks for the invaluable info, it is well worth reading even though it is tragic news for owners of deactivated weapons . Without wishing to sound political it seems the EU wishes to impose such sanctions to force owners of deactivated collections to turn the collection into blunt instruments. What is next to come out of Brussels, perhaps the banning of militaria fairs and War movies.

Change the law every year and add more things to it and demand a re proof every time and before long there all gone or too expensive to be worth while.

allways kicked myself for not buying a deac maxim at a auction a few years ago, it would have looked great in the kitchen. The mrs thinks otherwise.