Layout blind

H D

I have used them on pigeons and once you get used to shooting from one they are fantastic. I think the Finisher or Groundforce are better options for pigeon shooting because you can be up and shooting that little bit quicker. The biggest differance i have found is that quarry just has no clue you are there until its too late so they come in very confidently ( which is one reason they are so good for crows ).

You can let them really set their wings before coming up for the shot. One of the best things about the Powerhunter is its very low profile which has allowed me to set up in the middle of a very large field of stubble without sticking out like a sore thumb.

I am sonsored by Avery so I am probably going to be a bit biased but I don't think you will regret trying a layout blind

Darryl

I just made a rash purchase and bought a layout blind, it`s an Avery power hunter in brown so I can add netting/scrim/vegetation to suit the field I`m in.

Has anyone used them for woodpigeon as opposed to crows and geese ?

HD,

I'd be very interested about how the birds react to the field AFTER you have used one.

We have 10 layout blinds that we use on occasion when out after the geese, depending on the field and circumstances. One thing we have noticed is that it scares them off the field and they will not go back onto it again to feed. Where under normal conditions you might get a chance at the geese a couple of days later on that field, with the layouts you'll be lucky if they look at it again that season!

Obviously where Pigeons are concerned you can re-shoot a good field many times before they move off it, I'd be interested to see if the layouts affect this?

In the USA where they use them on waterfowl they don't get this problem because the birds migrate through so quickly, birds are only in an area for a short while then move off to be replaced by fresh migrants.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

very interesting to read your observations. We shoot some land in Northamptonshire where the geese are very heavily pressurised for most of the season.

We try not to put too much on them on our lease and have not had the problems you describe. I know that this may be due to the heavy pressure they get in the surrounding area.

For some reason I thaught you and Cammy shot from them quite a bit.

Darryl