FAC Application Without Exisiting Gun Cabinet

ChrisDavey

An air gunner friend of mine wants to change from airgun to .22LR and to do this will make a FAC Application.

This was inevitable anyway as his Theoben is pressure adjustable.

What has us stumped is whether or not it s essential to have a compliant gun cabinet fitted into the fabric of the building OR if it sufficient to demonstrate where it will be fitted. This may lead to a referal on the application that a further inspection to check purchase / fitting of a cabinet prior to purchase and I can not see how this would work ?!?

The reason the cabinet is not purchased before the application is due to cost. Both of the FAC and cabinet is more than can be afforded under Gordan Browns 'most generous taxation system' with a family of 4.

The obvious answer is to phone the respective Firearms Officer up and ask the question direct , but I'd like to canvass this forum first for your remarks

When I did my SGC application I drew a diagram of where the cabinet would be fitted to the fabric of the house.

Now then the application went through and the FLO came out to visit. Asked the usuals and asked to see where the cabinet was. Explained to him that the cabinet had not yet arrived, but I intended to position it as per drawing (which incidently he thought was a brilliant idea to detail with drawing, all those years on CAD paid off!!).

He noted everything down and said that there were no problems and I would be granted it in principle until the cabinet was fitted and he could come back to inspect it in position, upon which he would issue the certificate. This was confirmed in writing by Hampshire Police HQ.

He came back when I called him to tell him it was in, and promptly issued me with a shiny cert :good:

As far as I'm aware the cabinet needs to be in place before the certificate is issued. A reinspection will be required before the ticket is given to him. I'd bung it in the post saying it's not been installed yet. If the application goes anything like mine then he'll have a couple of months to save up before his visit anyway :good:

At application there is no requirement for any kind of storage provision to have been made.

Once the application begins to be processed there will be a visit scheduled at which the application will be discussed. Assuming there are no exceptional circumstances the most usual course of action will be the FEO advising you to install your cabinet

We know you don't have to have a cabinet, but you are probably just making your life harder than it need be by not getting one.

Once that is installed there will be a second visit at which the cabinet fitments and any other improvements will be checked.