Laptop question

Ricko

Hi

I've got my mum's old laptop and want to 'reset it. I may pit some more memory on it and use it for simple word processing stuff (ie not games playing or watching videos etc).

Can someone give me a pointer what I need to do, it runs Vista.

Cheers

If it was a store bought, OEM item, with everything installed already, there will be a seperate "D:" drive, or some such, which basically resets the whole machine.  If it is around, there may even be a DVD to reload it from.  Use Search to find "Reset" or "Re-install" type  instructions.

Instructions will be under a section with the manufacturers name on it normally, a text file maybe or an application called "re-install",

RS

Edited by RockySpears

This all depends on the age of the machine and if it has a recovery partition:

If you have a restore disk, stick it in the drive hit enter when prompted to boot from CD / DVD drive and follow the install wizard.

If no disks:

Start the computer and press and hold the F8 key.

At the Advanced Boot Options, choose Repair Your Computer by using the up and down arrows and enter.

Select a the language and click Next.

If prompted, login with an administrative account - only used really for Corporate Machines.

At the System Recovery Options, choose System Restore or Startup Repair and follow the on screen wizard.

Failing that let me know and i will see if i have a Vista disk knocking around for you.

22 minutes ago, Romes said:

This all depends on the age of the machine and if it has a recovery partition:

If you have a restore disk, stick it in the drive hit enter when prompted to boot from CD / DVD drive and follow the install wizard.

If no disks:

Start the computer and press and hold the F8 key.

At the Advanced Boot Options, choose Repair Your Computer by using the up and down arrows and enter.

Select a the language and click Next.

If prompted, login with an administrative account - only used really for Corporate Machines.

At the System Recovery Options, choose System Restore or Startup Repair and follow the on screen wizard.

Failing that let me know and i will see if i have a Vista disk knocking around for you.

Unfortunately I've not got the disc.

I started it with F8 pressed and self red Repair your computer

It then asked me to 1. put the DVD in the machine, 2. choose my language, 3. Click repair your computer

So no joy unfortunately.

Ok, so the other option is this:

Push the start button and at the bottom and search (blank box at the bottom) "System Restore".
Find the oldest restore point and restore the machine to that - this will keep the integrity of the system but get rid of the applications keeping the documents.