Is it possible..

Rookie

Hey!

I have have just started shotgun shooting and i was wondering if it is possible to start taking my ESS, Kally, with me?

She is around 2 and a half years of age and has had no training with a gun atall.... she has been spoilt by my sister and my mother and is now, what you would call a 'house dog'. On the upside, when taken out by my mother down to the horse field on the daily run to do the horses, she is so keen to chase after scents and tries to chase pigeons in the sky, which possibly gives me a glimor of hope...

For her age, she is very small, she is the typical runt of the little and is probably a tad smaller than your average cocker, but i think this could be an asset should she take well to training..

Basically i was wondering if i should try to train her, or will it be a waste of time, (as they say, you cant teach an old dog new tricks).

She knows basic comands like sit and stay (to a degree), but she still has a very lively attitude and strugles to sit still for to long.

Let me know wat you think,

Andrew.

Andrew,

It is well worth a try. You may be surprised and fine that you have a rough shooting partner and hide dog in the making. I would suggest you spend some time reading the Gun Dog training threads in this section and start with introducing her to gunfire. If she is fine with shot then I would proceed to train her to handle and retrieve. Be sure to take your time introducing her to the gun. If you have any specific questions ask, and I am sure one of us will try to help you out.

NTTF