Gun Safe Location

crisis500

I wouldn't for dampness/moisture reasons. If the security of the garage is up to muster there's no reason why not though..

Personally I'd put it inside a cupboard in a spare room or something like that :rolleyes:

its hardly fort knox to be honest mate so maybe indoors would be better

You'd probably be surprised what security is actually required, won't be as much as you think. I was once told, rightly or wrongly, if someone will insure your contents then that's good enough :lol:

The other thing to get right now, trust me, is the size of the cab. You might think you only want one gun now, and no rifles. You will though, and swapping out the cab or adding another is a pain :rolleyes:

My call :- get a 7 gun deep with a lock top, you will thank me in 2 years time ???

You'd probably be surprised what security is actually required, won't be as much as you think. I was once told, rightly or wrongly, if someone will insure your contents then that's good enough :lol:

The other thing to get right now, trust me, is the size of the cab. You might think you only want one gun now, and no rifles. You will though, and swapping out the cab or adding another is a pain :rolleyes:

My call :- get a 7 gun deep with a lock top, you will thank me in 2 years time ???

Thats interesting. now your not the first person to give me that advise. i was looking at one which held about 5 guns standing, am i required to have a different safe for ammo or is someone just talking cod ****?

You don't legally have to lock up shotgun ammo, but it makes you look good to the FEO! Any box with a lock is ok. I used to have a 3 gun safe, but it was hopeless. I bought an extra deep locktop 7 gun cabinet from Paul Hart (on the forum) a few months back. He sells them really cheap and I wish I'd just bought a big one in the first place. Another vote to buy the biggest you can afford. They're bloody heavy bits of kit and a pain to install, so once it's in you don't want to be changing it!

Thats interesting. now your not the first person to give me that advise. i was looking at one which held about 5 guns standing, am i required to have a different safe for ammo or is someone just talking cod ****?

Totally agree with Pin and njc110381, buy a much bigger cabinet than you think you need because you will fill it!!, especially if you decide to go the FAC route in the future.... You do not need a separate cabinet for shotgun ammo, you will need a cabinet with a separate/internal locking compartment for FAC, or you could buy a separate small/medium sized digital safe.

Totally agree with Pin and njc110381, buy a much bigger cabinet than you think you need because you will fill it!!, especially if you decide to go the FAC route in the future.... You do not need a separate cabinet for shotgun ammo, you will need a cabinet with a separate/internal locking compartment for FAC, or you could buy a separate small/medium sized digital safe.

Couldn't be summarised better if someone tried!