Bygone Specials!

NatureBoy

Found these 3 on youtube. Great viewing and proper Natural history.

Point of departure. 1982. . . . . Ted Eales on Blakney Point. Different time. Same problems. Listen to what he says about predators and public from a true conservationist. Not many terns on the coast now.

Gamekeeper 1975. . . . . . Showing the life and times of a keeper on the Blois estate and Alde estuary in Suffolk. Saw my first osprey there as a boy with my dad around the time this film was made. Not sure who was more excited!

The piper of Nacton . . . . . . . . .Showing how one if not the last duck decoy lakes worked on the Orwell Park estate in Suffolk. Interesting that he was doing it for science/research back then. . .   Used to fish there in the 80s/90s. Great natural valley stream/spring fed fishery in an amazing setting. Water the colour  of tea as it came off the heath. One of the few lakes back then where you could catch natural chubb to 3lb in mixed bags to 40lb plus. It had a small stock of true wild carp that had been in there many years. Not big (12lb was a big one) but lean,solid, strong and almost black. Sadly it all got ******** up when a syndicate got it and "restocked it". They the chub, big bream and huge rudd disappeared.  Migrating osperys would also visit here and fish there while you were fishing as it was close to the river Orwell. Was a special place! Good times and great memories.      NB

3 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Migrating osperys would also visit here and fish there while you were fishing as it was close to the river Orwell. Was a special place! Good times and great memories.      NB

Had some good times fishing with my old fella, but seeing an Osprey swoop in while fishing would be something you never forget. 

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Had some good times fishing with my old fella, but seeing an Osprey swoop in while fishing would be something you never forget. 

Very true mice!  Hair on the back of ya neck moments as some court or attempted to at about 25yrds. Mainly young 1st and second year birds. No fear. Some stayed a week or so feeding up.   NB

10 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Thanks for posting. This makes me feel very old. Like many I met Ted, and I was fortunate to be slightly acquainted with Bob Chestney who did the same job at Scolt Head - another from the same mould. I knew Don Revitt a bit when he moved to Welney. Yet another great "old school" sportsman naturalist.

Ted on the beach in his bare feet sharing his knowledge! Great stuff.      NB