Clay Grounds near Sheffield

RossM

Going to be in Chapeltown near sheffield with some friends on the first weekend of Septemeber and was just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere good for some clay shooting on the saturday afternoon. Discipline preference is sporting. Any recommendations would be gratefuilly received.

Going to be in Chapeltown near sheffield with some friends on the first weekend of Septemeber and was just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere good for some clay shooting on the saturday afternoon. Discipline preference is sporting. Any recommendations would be gratefuilly received.

theres a sporting shoot at wooley edge nr barnsley start 12,30 .

come of m1 at junction 38 huddersfield go round under the motorway and up haigh hill to top,

turn rt along wooley edge and look for a lane on your left on the brow of a hill leading up to a small wood

you can shoot 50 or 100 birds.

tell us what you score.

come of m1 at junction 38 huddersfield go round under the motorway and up haigh hill to top,

turn rt along wooley edge and look for a lane on your left on the brow of a hill leading up to a small wood

tell us what you score.

is that sporting or FITASC peter? i know they have a lot of the north of england FITASC shoots at woolley edge but have never been.

tell us what you score.

is that sporting or FITASC peter? i know they have a lot of the north of england FITASC shoots at woolley edge but have never been.

its esp normally quite challenging.

worth a trip

It's a shame as there is a shoot just above Chapletown ( 5 mins away at Wortley) but it is only open alternate weekends, and that is an 'off' weekend I'm afraid.

Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd of September is the Country Fair at Chatsworth, so some of the main clay shoots are closed due to this, unfortunatly I don't know of one off the top of my head that will be open. I'll ask at the gun club this weekend and if I do hear of any that are open, then I'll post on this thread.

Sorry I can't be of any more help at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

tell us what you score.

Hi Pete, Well went to Wooley Edge. Didn't realise you had to be there for 12.30 on the dot!! Not been to a set up like that before but luckily we arrived just in time!! Have to say the organisers could have been a little more friendly towards visitors and explain how it all worked but still it all went well in the end.

It was very hard. Some very fast birds. The first stand was right down a hill side in a large stubble field with some very long high crossers that nobody was hitting. The stands did get bit easier from then on in though. I managed 29/50 other two mates got 6/50 and 10/50. Plus we took a lad who'd never shot before. He got 3! Lets just hope its not put him off.

All in all it was a good day and once we'd broke the barrier with the guys we were shooting with they were very friendly and more than willing to offer out tips.

Thanks for the suggestion as it was a good day. Would recommend it to others. :good: