Magnet Help?

Hi All

Just got a magnet and used it for the first time this week. I noticed the power cord is only about 5 feet long. I was wondering if most of you control the magnet from your hide?

I set out the magnet about 15 yds from the hide at the front of my spread. The only thing I didnt like was not being able to use the speed controller in the hide.

I am worried that a small cable stretched out 15 yrd will be hard on the motor

Any advice on setup would be appreciated

For most set-ups that's too close to the hide, depends on if you like eating or throwing the pigeon away ;)

You are right about the resistance if you extend the wires, not worth it, not heard of anyone that lazy (even me) they wouldn't just walk out to it!

Good luck!

Problem with most speed controllers are they are the resistive type, this means that although they control the speed well the set-up uses the same amount of power regardless of what you set the controller to. The additional power is consumed as heat in the controller. To avoid this you need a PWM (pulse width modulation) type. What these do is pulse the motor on and off at a rate you set with the controls, called the duty cycle. At half speed the controller only turns on the motor for half the time with the result being it slows down. They are not 100% efficient but they are miles better than the resistive type.

How long the magnet lasts will depend on lots of things, I use a 17ah battery and can get about 8 hours out of mine.

Hi All

Just got a magnet and used it for the first time this week. I noticed the power cord is only about 5 feet long. I was wondering if most of you control the magnet from your hide?

I set out the magnet about 15 yds from the hide at the front of my spread. The only thing I didnt like was not being able to use the speed controller in the hide.

I am worried that a small cable stretched out 15 yrd will be hard on the motor

Any advice on setup would be appreciated

Interesting, I have often thought about turning it off to conserve the battery, has anyone come across a 12v remote control?

I know that caravan tvs and car audios come with them. Mabe the boffins among us can point us in the right direction.

:whistling: D2D

• 2 weeks later...

I use a speed controller on mine but then I also bought a small remote control on/off switch which I connect to the magnet.

The controller is like the ones you get with a car alarm so it fits in your pocket no worries.

I just flick it on and off when the action is required. If I stop for my lunch or during quiet times I switch it off to conserve energy.

( Photo's on request )