Update For NTTF

MadSpringer

Hi NTTF,

Sorry for the delay in giving you an update on my Springer dog!

Followed your suggested training plan using frozen cock and hen pheasants, plus I added a few pigeons on the odd training session. I must admit I applied the training over a longer period than you suggested; this was due to wanting to take things steady. He’s my best working dog and I desperately hoped your suggestions would stop him ragging pheasants!

I started giving him fun retrieves with the frozen birds in the garden, lots of praise for retrieving. After a week or so I used the frozen birds in the training field, the lad was getting very keen to retrieve and thoroughly enjoyed these sessions, not that he has never been keen, his nose and keenness have always been his strong points. Over the following weeks I slowly thawed the birds out more giving plenty of retrieves and lots of praise. He now retrieves fully thawed birds eagerly with no damage and the lightest of holds, back to his normal self!!!!!!!!! :blink:

He is now so keen that he almost dives into the retrieve, not a problem as he picks the bird cleanly and gently. What I have been doing is placing the retrieves up against a fence or hedge, this makes him slow up before picking. I will continue with this method over the coming months, do you think this is the correct method or have you any other suggestions?

I took him pigeon shooting for a couple of hours on Sunday; this was the first time I’ve taken him shooting with me since the last day of the season. Thought I’d try him on 1 or 2 freshly shot dead birds. Anyway a few birds started coming in and I was dropping them :rolleyes: and the dog sat tight so all was well! A high fast left to right comes in and I hit it hard but no kill, the bird came down 15 yards to the right of the hide flapping. Well this was too much temptation for him having not been out for ages, off he goes out the side of the hide. I must admit that my heart sank a little as I didn’t want to try him on pricked birds for a while, thought he may be too tempted to get a good grip on it. No need to worry as he returned with the bird perfectly (few!!).

Stayed for another hour, after I‘d packed up I sent him for a retrieve I had left out in the long rape, another perfect retrieve!!! He also picked a bird I’d missed so all in all a great day out!

Just need to do a little steadiness work with him, he’s obviously keen to get back out shooting with me as he’s not been for a long time.

Thanks again NTTF for your advice and training plan!

I had heard of the frozen bird method but was not sure how successful it would be. I must admit it has helped so far with my dog, I suppose the true test will come next season when he is sent for a pricked cock bird!

Cheers!

Glad to hear that he is doing well, and that the problem seems to be cured. Its always hard to tell what starts a dog savaging birds, sometimes its a roosters spurs, sometimes its they get tired towards the end of the season. I have dogs at work that have probably seen 20 to 30 thousand pheasants over their carrers, and during the last 2 weeks of season you will see them get a little rough on some of the birds.

As far as further training, it might be to your benefit to give him some retrieves out in the open fields away from the hedge rows as he will be facing this come season. I would also take him pigeon shooting with you and allow him to have some retrieves, keep him happy. The last thing I can suggest is have a helper come out with you, you work the dog back a bit, have the helper throw the bird in the air and fire a shot, send the dog for the retrieve. Use cock birds for this drill.

Glad hes doing well, good luck and keep it FUN