Kids and shotgunning

Chard

As has been said, it's not the recoil but the weight of the gun and the strength needed to hold it. My lad who is now 13 has been shooting for 2 years. While he could shoot my 12g - he was hitting very little and becoming demoralised. The gun was just too big and heavy for him to hold it up - and it is a light s/s.

Got him a 20 and some good tuition and he's now a cracking shot.

Whatever you do, get him good ear protection. Youngsters are more affected that adults with noise getting in past ear plug types so they need to be the headphone type.

He's costing me a fortune!!!!

i started shooting at 11 with a 12 bore and 24gr shells

And me, with an old semi hammerless single 12g, dont bother with a 20g he will only grow out of it very quickly.

Totally agree about the ear protection, my ears buzz all the time and its not very nice.

Enjoy his company........ til he discovers girls ??? :(

:good: D2D

As has been said, it's not the recoil but the weight of the gun and the strength needed to hold it. My lad who is now 13 has been shooting for 2 years. While he could shoot my 12g - he was hitting very little and becoming demoralised. The gun was just too big and heavy for him to hold it up - and it is a light s/s.

Got him a 20 and some good tuition and he's now a cracking shot.

Whatever you do, get him good ear protection. Youngsters are more affected that adults with noise getting in past ear plug types so they need to be the headphone type.

He's costing me a fortune!!!!

have you thought the 20 bore might fit him while the 12 didn't

they do cost you a fortune I think they assume we get the cartridges given,

but the look on their faces when they hit their first 10/10 is worth the outlay.