Beginners kit

jayscott

Hi all,

I am looking to start doing a lot of decoying but have one problem... what to buy!?!? the amount of different decoys just confuse me, i could shop around and buy probably every kind because they look nice but i want some that will do the trick the most effectively. i am looking at a budget of £200 for my decoys (thats not including my hide etc.) should i spend most of my money and get a magnet? about 40 full bodied flocked? What would you reccomend? also i have seen on a website advertised "Reel-wings" which look dare i say amazing any comments on them? ???

Thanks, Jay

Opinion will differ from one bloke to the next, there is no right and wrong and there are many ways to get started.

In MY opinion you won't go far wrong with 20 flocked shell deeks with maxi-movers/spring sticks, couple of bouncers/floaters, dead bird cradles and a magnet.

I don't think anyone needs 40 deeks, replace the deeks with shot birds on cradeles or add to the pattern to grow it.

It depends how far in you want to start, as pin said, there is no right or wrong way.

Shell decoys with spring sticks and two floaters would be top of my list.

More of those and the rest I would add later.

Another good thing with pigeon shooting is that you always have something for people to buy you for your birthday, or Christmas.

You can never have too many decoying aids. ???

My advice would be similar to that above. Replace deeks with dead birds as you go along. Bouncers with dead birds are very good, although learning where to place them is tricky at first. They seem to have a powerful influence for good and bad. It's fun trying though.

I might suggest Sillosock decoys though. They are very light and pack down well compared to flocked shells. They seem to work for me, but I noticed the Peregrine Falcon I decoyed last week was going for a flocked shell not my silly sock. Let's see what others think of Silosocks.

I'd put a flapper on my christmas list.

It depends how far in you want to start, as pin said, there is no right or wrong way.

Shell decoys with spring sticks and two floaters would be top of my list.

More of those and the rest I would add later.

Another good thing with pigeon shooting is that you always have something for people to buy you for your birthday, or Christmas.

You can never have too many decoying aids. :rolleyes:

i agree the list is never ending

Thanks everyone went out today and bought a dozen pigeon shells with spring sticks, sillosock to give it a try and a half dozen dead bird cradles. Also noticed there was an article about decoying equipment in this months sporting shooter and shows you how to make your own decoys, don't look the best but i ca see my blue peter skills coming out. Now im off t see if i can grab a plastic drum.

I know a couple of people who use grey plastic drainpipe cut in half, scuffed over with a wire brush and painted with the right colours, essentially looks nothing at all like a pigeon but it has the colour and the white bars on the "wings" and "neck" and they work great.