Help me improve my bag please - Sussex

bitmonkey

Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly experienced shot but new to decoying pigeons. Today I set up some deeks and a hide since when I arrived at a shoot out for bunnies there were a hell of a lot of pigeons about so I thought I'd give them a crack. I ended up only getting a handful, partly down to some poor shooting, but mainly because they just weren't coming into my pattern properly and I don't think I really set up correctly in the first place. Previous attempts at decoying have had similarly poor results.

I'd really appreciate a bit of help from someone experienced who was willing to go shooting pigeons with me and show me the ropes - although I'm reading this site and trying to apply what I've learned I think I'd learn quicker from someone showing me how they go about it.

Any takers?

Paul

Firstly, site your hide and decoys where the birds have been feeding, not where you hope they will feed.

If you are only using static decoys, use as many as you can, at least 20 for starters.

You don't say whether you're using a rotary, if not, save up and get one, using dead birds not plastic lookalikes, site it no further than 25 yards from your hide, as most birds will try to land directly behind it and you don't want to be shooting at birds on extreme range if the rotary is too far from the hide.

Try this out, let us know how you get on..??

Cat.

:yes: Hi mate thats the art of pigeon shooting FLUSTRATEING ISNT IT we all have these day its a case of trile and error keep adjusting your pattern and DO NOT KEEP MOVEING ABOUT get as much movement in your pattern as posable deeks on spring sticks - bouncers leave a big killing zone DO NOT CLOSE your pattern they dont seem to like flying over deeks to land eather just one more thing face vail or keep your face behind the net so they can not see you DO NOT MOVE UNTILL THEY HAVE COMITTED TO LAND good luck

Firstly, site your hide and decoys where the birds have been feeding, not where you hope they will feed.

If you are only using static decoys, use as many as you can, at least 20 for starters.

You don't say whether you're using a rotary, if not, save up and get one, using dead birds not plastic lookalikes, site it no further than 25 yards from your hide, as most birds will try to land directly behind it and you don't want to be shooting at birds on extreme range if the rotary is too far from the hide.

Try this out, let us know how you get on..??

Cat.

:welcomeani::yes:

Keep 2 pigeons in the freezer and take them out the night before you next outing with the magnet/rotary....works for me.

Went out yesterday, saw a load of them over a recently drilled field, so I set myself up under a tree near where they had been feeding and put out a pattern - wider sides this time. They still weren't having it - I wonder if my hide needs to be better and less visible, but it's finding the right spots where the net blends in well.

They never came back in any numbers, one or two had a look, a few overflew the pattern but too far out to have a shot - I ended up getting one f&ckin' pigeon!

Oh well, will keep trying and see if I can improve.

You're still not saying whether you're using a rotary, I suspect you're not, if not, get one, use it as previously advised, you'll be amazed at the difference it can make.

Cat.

:lol: - i was shooting on tuesday and for the fist half hour nothing happened untill i got 2 birds on the rotary, then all hell broke loose and pigeons came into the deeks like little rockets.

If you pm me before your next trip I will be happy to come down and help you out. Wont bring my gun as Im not after blagging some free sport, more interested in helping a novice out. Either that or once the rape starts showing you can come up to my shooting patch and I will try to help you. Stick at it, all the replies above this are spot on and by blokes who have shot a lot of pigeons :lol:

Cat,

You're correct - no rotary yet. I will buy one asap - it seems like an essential bit of kit.

Cheers

Paul

You're still not saying whether you're using a rotary, I suspect you're not, if not, get one, use it as previously advised, you'll be amazed at the difference it can make.

Cat.

If you pm me before your next trip I will be happy to come down and help you out. Wont bring my gun as Im not after blagging some free sport, more interested in helping a novice out. Either that or once the rape starts showing you can come up to my shooting patch and I will try to help you. Stick at it, all the replies above this are spot on and by blokes who have shot a lot of pigeons :blink:

Thanks a lot - that's a very kind offer. I don't mind if you bring your gun at all. I will PM you.

It might be a little while before I go out again though - I'm going to wait until I've got a rotary before trying again.

Cheers.

Paul