Use of magnet

Sten Ch

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am from Sweden and the pigeon magnet has recently become allowed here. I need some advice on how to use it.

I'm quite familiar with the use of ordinary decoys and decoy patterns. But how do you fit in the magnet? Are there different "schools" on this topic or are everybody of the same opinion?

I used one for the first time last Saturday, placing it in the front of the pattern when shooting in a very high wind from behind. Pigeons came in very low because of the wind (ca 1-2 meters high!), were clearly attracted by decoys and magnet, but reluctant to try to land in the pattern. They just came in and over to see what was on, which was a fatal mistake for 102 of them... So it worked very well, especially considering the circumstances, but I would like to hear the opinion of experienced magnet users and learn more from them.

Welcome Sten Ch

At the start of every decoying session, i put my magnet at the back end of the pattern about 10_ 15 yrds

to look like birds coming in which seems to work most time,s . but don't be afraid of change if its not working , and keep trying new positions or even fetch it in as somedays they just don't want it .

ps, don't under estimate the bouncers as they play a big role in my pattern .

hope this helps but like i said no hard rule,s on pigeon decoying whatever works on the day .

Magnets are great for pulling them from a flight line but they are also great at making them flare off when they get near.

Try it 15-20 yards infront of the pattern just as an eyectcher for them then hopefully they will drop into the decoys before they get focused on the magnet.

Or do what i do most of the time and leave it in the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, nice to meet new chaps. I like to put my magnet just ahead of the middle decoy of an arrow head formation. I find it pulls the birds in through the middle of the decoys and slows them down infront of you. Don't expect them to land, sometimes it'll spooke them. I find there best when the tasty fat chicks have just fledged and are oblivious to the magnets. Just watch them change, as they are fast learners. :lol:

• 1 month later...