3" or 3.5"

Realale

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 20:30, Oly said:

There's no Elite option in wood available in the UK. There's no Elite version in 3in chambers either - the Elites are all 3.5in.

The cheaper the Affinity 1 or Affinity 3 have 3in chambers - no cerakote or oversized knobs and whistles though! 

The range thats available in the UK is here https://www.gmk.co.uk/browse/franchi/shotguns/semi-auto

Like I say, my 3.5in appears to do everything a 3in does and more, so it was a no brainer for me. 

I haven`t seen one with wood, however this is adverstised as an elite 3" chamber https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/franchi/semi-auto/12-gauge/affinity-elite-3-camo-210625104205003 I wasn`t allowed to try the new franchi 3.5 elite at Cambridge gun club as it was a new gun, but did try a very similar Benelli on the clays there for a comparison. I noted the loading ramp was slightly different on the Franchi, compared to the Benelli wich cycled everything bar the 21g loads. I found the loading ramp slightly pinched my thumb whilst inserting cartridges into the mag wich was also noted on a review of another Franchi shotgun. Does yours do/feel the same ? As it was uncomfortable compared to my Remington 1100.  Felt recoil was more noticeable, as to be expected compared to a gas operated semi auto. I did like the feel of the slimmer forend on the Benelli & shot well with it.

I`m now unsure wether to stick with my Remington & get it looked over, or try a Browning Maxus again. I have two friends with Browning Maxus semi autos who both love them. First friend has the first model & has been fault free. Second friend who shot the Northampton 120 bird semi auto comp with me had the odd cycling issue & had one live round that did stick & had trouble releasing the bolt.

2 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

I haven`t seen one with wood, however this is adverstised as an elite 3" chamber https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/franchi/semi-auto/12-gauge/affinity-elite-3-camo-210625104205003 I wasn`t allowed to try the new franchi 3.5 elite at Cambridge gun club as it was a new gun, but did try a very similar Benelli on the clays there for a comparison. I noted the loading ramp was slightly different on the Franchi, compared to the Benelli wich cycled everything bar the 21g loads. I found the loading ramp slightly pinched my thumb whilst inserting cartridges into the mag wich was also noted on a review of another Franchi shotgun. Does yours do/feel the same ? As it was uncomfortable compared to my Remington 1100.  Felt recoil was more noticeable, as to be expected compared to a gas operated semi auto. I did like the feel of the slimmer forend on the Benelli & shot well with it.

I`m now unsure wether to stick with my Remington & get it looked over, or try a Browning Maxus again. I have two friends with Browning Maxus semi autos who both love them. First friend has the first model & has been fault free. Second friend who shot the Northampton 120 bird semi auto comp with me had the odd cycling issue & had one live round that did stick & had trouble releasing the bolt.

That must be old 3" stock that's now been superceded...presumably as Franchi thought the 3.5" does everything the 3" does and more. 

I've not had any loading issues with the Franchi, it's much easier/nicer than my Beretta Urika. Felt recoil is marginally more, a 28gm in the Franchi may have a similar recoil to a 32gm in the Urika. 

Benelli stocks are totally different to the Franchi. The Benelli's are generally shorter for a start. Plus the dimensions of the Franchi is entirely adjustable via shims and butt pad length anyway. 

41 minutes ago, Oly said:

That must be old 3" stock that's now been superceded...presumably as Franchi thought the 3.5" does everything the 3" does and more. 

I've not had any loading issues with the Franchi, it's much easier/nicer than my Beretta Urika. Felt recoil is marginally more, a 28gm in the Franchi may have a similar recoil to a 32gm in the Urika. 

Benelli stocks are totally different to the Franchi. The Benelli's are generally shorter for a start. Plus the dimensions of the Franchi is entirely adjustable via shims and butt pad length anyway. 

I was more interested in seeing what an inertia shotgun felt like compared to a gas operated one. How about the loading ? I see they are known for pinching your loading digits a bit and there are youtube vids showing how to load either by holding your thumb at 90 degrees to loading angle or by pushing up the loading ramp & feeding the cartridge in that way.

7 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I was more interested in seeing what an inertia shotgun felt like compared to a gas operated one. How about the loading ? I see they are known for pinching your loading digits a bit and there are youtube vids showing how to load either by holding your thumb at 90 degrees to loading angle or by pushing up the loading ramp & feeding the cartridge in that way.

Like I said, I've not had any loading issues with the Franchi, it's much easier/nicer than my Beretta Urika

3 inch will do what you do curently, but if that ever changes and you decide to shoot forshores or shotgun for foxes eyc you might be glad of the 3.5 inch chambering, you can use 70mm / 76mm in a 89mm gun but not a 89mm in a 76mm gun . Personaly i would go 3.5 inch for no other reason than it opens the option to use 3.5 inch Whenever and if you ever chose to, with a 3 inch you dont have that option. .