Insurance

3 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

It's perfectly legal to have more than one insurance policy. If it helps, NGO is membership with some insurance as a value add rather than gunplan which is just an insurance policy.

You pay the money and in theory could claim on both. Lets hope you never need to. 

You may find it is illegal to claim for anything but a life from more than  one insurance.

Yes, terms and conditions may apply.

For the OP though they have one insurance policy and one membership, and based on their saying they will only claim from one means it is fine. 

I should have been more clear on my claiming statement, that not all factors could be payable on multiple insurances. 

You can have as many policies as you want, but you can't claim on all of them for the same incident. The idea of insurance is that it puts you back to where you would have been before the incident which is the subject of the claim. You are not allowed to make multiple claims for the same incident, ie to profit from it. 

NGO insurance is what they call "last resort", which means it won't even entertain a claim if you have any other insurance that might. Not sure about Gunplan.

I am a member of both NGO and BASC. The latter provides first resort insurance - ie they will handle the claim, and NGO won't get involved. I know this, but I am still happy being an NGO member as well because I want to support them for all sorts of reasons. 

As for legal cover for certificate issues specifically (as opposed to public liability etc), I  personally have never heard of it actually achieving a satisfactory result. Even BASC, with its financial clout, dropped it after just three or four years after trying it out because it simply didn't achieve results that the in-house firearms team couldn't, yet it precluded them getting involved and started costing a fortune in excesses once claims stated being made. All too the insurance company wriggles out, citing one of the many exclusions - and remember, the solicitors are working for the insurance co, not the member.  Successful cases may exist, but if so, they must be pretty rare.