New season and steadying the dogs

lurcherboy

I went out for a sortie tonight with the lab and the cocker and a Glock blank firer at 6.30. It took around 30 rounds before they settled down but after that they were steady and their eyes were on me on every report.

We worked a marsh with drains 5 metres wide and when one or the other was directed over to work the far bank they did what was required.

Very happy with their performance as I have been so bleeding lazy this off season (and busy) that I thought there would be loads of grief ahead. Despite the fact that they are normally very competitive they followed my instructions as and when they was directed.

I really don't deserve them but thank **** they are on my team.

I hope you all expose your dogs to heavy fire before you start chaps as no one likes a wild one in the ranks.

Off out now with the lurchers and a idiot :good:

LB

I went out for a sortie tonight with the lab and the cocker and a Glock blank firer at 6.30. It took around 30 rounds before they settled down but after that they were steady and their eyes were on me on every report.

We worked a marsh with drains 5 metres wide and when one or the other was directed over to work the far bank they did what was required.

Very happy with their performance as I have been so bleeding lazy this off season (and busy) that I thought there would be loads of grief ahead. Despite the fact that they are normally very competitive they followed my instructions as and when they was directed.

I hope you all expose your dogs to heavy fire before you start chaps as no one likes a wild one in the ranks.

LB

LB, How old are your Dogs as mine is going out tomo for his first intro to the Gun, Then Next year i'm away from him for 6 months just hope i dont have to start all over again with him, a couple of mates are gonna help keeping him ticking over, while the Mrs will walk him twice a day.

ratus

LB

LB, How old are your Dogs as mine is going out tomo for his first intro to the Gun, Then Next year i'm away from him for 6 months just hope i dont have to start all over again with him, a couple of mates are gonna help keeping him ticking over, while the Mrs will walk him twice a day.

ratus

Mine have a few years under the gun Ratus I was just doing some steadying for the new season. I don't know what you have planned for yours or what age it is but please go easy with it as you can do untold damage if you go about it wrong. IMHO the best place to start is in the car park of a clay shoot with the windows up. I have a lurcher that use to **** itself on any report salvitating within 6 weeks when it heard the noise of gunfire. He will now go out into the garden when fireworks are let off and watch the rockets :rolleyes: and he kills cats.

Love him to bits even when he sulks.

Not having a pop at you Ratus as I know nothing of you but I am sure you want your dog to be as keen as mustard but it will be hard work. I hope your mates know what they are doing and that the missus ain't a pushover. I went to NZ for two weeks on a reccie and a bit of hunting and when I left I had a Lab that walked to heel without a lead. When I came back the ****er was on a lead and was ploughing his own a furrow. It took a good hard kick to its ribs to reinstate my command.

That was TWO WEEKS not 6 months.

LB

Idiot update.

He has two collie x lurcher's that are rough coated and very intelligent 'cos they worked for me and not him.

I will befriend the idiot now to be known as an associate which is the best promotion I can give him.

Why have non-entities got good curs?

LB :good:

Idiot update.

He has two collie x lurcher's that are rough coated and very intelligent 'cos they worked for me and not him.

I will befriend the idiot now to be known as an associate which is the best promotion I can give him.

Why have non-entities got good curs?

LB :yes:

did you get any action?;)

Sorry Paul, should have followed on from that post.

They are natural hunters and intelligent but not that bidable.

Pretty sure that is down to mateys rather limp call rather than the dogs abilities as they came in for me when I gave them some vocal.

They delivered, eventually, 5 scuts that were only fit for the ferrets.

If I had them for a few months I would have them on a hand command or pip whistle and do much work to soften the grip, if you know what I mean.

LB

Pretty sure that is down to mateys rather limp call rather than the dogs abilities as they came in for me when I gave them some vocal.

If I had them for a few months I would have them on a hand command or pip whistle and do much work to soften the grip, if you know what I mean.

LB

sounds like ye man could do with a few lessons in basic lurchercraft.......

what a shame when the best in a dog is not brought out....... and they get wasted..........then again..could be good on the bigger stuff................if he ever moves to N.I :blink:

LB

sounds like ye man could do with a few lessons in basic lurchercraft.......

what a shame when the best in a dog is not brought out....... and they get wasted..........then again..could be good on the bigger stuff................if he ever moves to N.I :blink:

It had crossed my mind regarding the larger target species Paul.

He comes from money and obviously knows people so will I pursue that avenue and see what comes off it.

Legally of course.

LB