A stupid Question

pavman

Yes & no with mine.

Never got mine to work on a bird in flight, so far, only tried a dozen or so times.... but it's a cheapie Nikon Prostaff 440.

There is a scan mode on it, basically you hold the button down and keep the crosshairs on the moving target. As Stuart has said if it's in range and will reflect then you'll get a constantly updated range.

Could you not get to sleep with the big pile of notes under the matress Stuart? ;)

I tried burning them but some good ones were getting away, I didn't want the neighbours picking them up so I had to do something with them :lol:

Got my mate to act as a 'mule' on his last trip to the States and he walked me a Leica 900 CRF out.

The only trouble is it has a feint smell of condom and KY jelly :yes:

If the object is big enough to reflect, and you can hold the rangefinder on target then it will, works on mine at least.

Most have 'scan mode' so you can hold the button down and pan at the same time.

stu

just how big an object? and what happens with Golf range finders do you focus on the pin?

will it work for a bunny at 75 yards, or need it to be a big as a deer, could it work for a skeen of high Geese I wonder

I will give it a try and let you know.

With Leica's at least (but the same will apply to others) the hard thing with small objects or distant large objects for that matter is holding the thing steady while the laser pings it.

I would have thought, but again without trying it, it would pick up geese as long as you can keep one in the square for a second or so.

I have only ever pinged sheep out to any real diatances, messing about once but we got to over 500 yards and was still getting instant, repeatable readings back. I would have thought it would ping a deer sized object out to 800 yards.

Don't know anything about golf range finders, other than the very cheap ones measure the height of the pin and work out the distance based on that.

Sounds like you need to try some out in the field before deciding.

Here is the blurb on the Leica ones:

http://www.leica-camera.co.uk/hunting_optics/rangemaster/

Right then, I gave this a go for real this evening.

Fully scientific field test, light was getting a bit low, so pretty real conditions.

Firstly a flock of seagulls (birds not the 80's pop combo) a cormorant, and then a canada goose.

It took a bit of practice, as the rangfinder has 7x mag and very small objective lens so the field of view is very limited.

First couple of birds I just couldn't pick up, but then I tried it with both eyes open and started picking then up OK

With my one you need to get the object in the crosshairs (which is actually a square) press the button once and then again to get it into scan mode and you are all set.

So does it work?

YES :rolleyes:

I could accurately range find all of the above, as was able to keep the canada in the cross hairs from 67 yards all the way out to 165 yards and was still getting relaible readings back.

It would be interesting, to see if you can do the same with Bushnell's and the like?