New member from Blyth Northumberland

6 hours ago, Picklerick83 said:

Hi I'm new here looking for advice on getting permission for land to hunt rabbits pigeons etc with air guns and ferrets for me and my son any advice would be appreciated 

To begin with you need to find the quarry you will be asking permission to shoot and to use your Ferrets , with Pigeons you are better off finding them doing damage on a crop and not on stubble's as very few land owners will let strangers go on the stubble when the birds are not doing that much harm , I take it you know the different crops by name if you see Pigeons and Covids going on in good numbers to fill there crop up , you don't really want to go and knock on the farmers door and ask him if you can go on his Beans as you have seen a lot of Pigeons going on them only to be told that he haven't got any Beans , the field you might had seen the Pigeons on were in fact Peas .

Go seeing the land owner is far better than texts or sending him a letter , don't get to pushy and try and pick a time when he isn't busy which this time of the year is nigh on impossible , but don't give up .

GOOD LUCK and if you need any more advice then please feel free to ask , what one member won't know , another one will and there are loads of very helpful members on the forum . 

9 hours ago, toontastic said:

Unless you go beating its almost impossible to get shooting around Blyth. If you drive try around Ponteland or Northwards beyond Morpeth. 

I agree that beating can open some doors but game shooting only last for three to four months , as soon as the season finish in January this tie up with the best time to look at the various rape fields in your area , if you are in the position where you can go week days then you have the advantage over the Saturday afternoon shooters , also a lot of Pigeon shooters are not keen in sitting out on the cold days of the Winter , I am now coming up to 75 and I leave rape fields alone till March , that is mainly because we have game shoots till the 1st of February and have four Saturday afternoons roost shooting , after that things quieten down and the days start getting a bit warmer and longer .

I admit , if you only have a few likely fields in your neck of the woods then you are up against it , but you then have to try that bit harder as it is very rare the perms will come to you without you putting in a lot of ground work .

56 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I agree that beating can open some doors but game shooting only last for three to four months , as soon as the season finish in January this tie up with the best time to look at the various rape fields in your area , if you are in the position where you can go week days then you have the advantage over the Saturday afternoon shooters , also a lot of Pigeon shooters are not keen in sitting out on the cold days of the Winter , I am now coming up to 75 and I leave rape fields alone till March , that is mainly because we have game shoots till the 1st of February and have four Saturday afternoons roost shooting , after that things quieten down and the days start getting a bit warmer and longer .

I admit , if you only have a few likely fields in your neck of the woods then you are up against it , but you then have to try that bit harder as it is very rare the perms will come to you without you putting in a lot of ground work .

Hi MM I was particularly referring to the Blyth area as its where I live. Most if not all of the farmers in the immediate vacinity are involved in the same syndicate. The beaters don't get paid but they get given all the out of season shooting. So if you want to shoot those particular fields you have to go beating. 

That's why I directed him to look out a bit further than just his immediate area.