Reloading Equipment Wanted

Lurch003

Hey y'all

Just starting out on the road of reloading- if anyone has anything they no longer use/want to get rid of please let me know.

Got a great deal on an RCBS RockChucker Press, and a couple of other bits but main other things looking for include:-

Tumbler
Scales
.38 Die set
.308 Die Set
Case sizer

TIA image.gif.57e4924af263b1ec1497833b8aa6893a.gif

33 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

If I'm reading you right, the "case sizer" will be included in the die sets, usually as a full length sizing and decapping die - look for a pin sticking out of the bottom of one of the dies - that's the decapping pin. Hope that helps!

Sorry, that's me getting confused... Went over my mates and he has a little lathe type thing for trimming the length he said is essential- think he's got the die set that doesn't have the length sizer

3 hours ago, Lurch003 said:

Sorry, that's me getting confused... Went over my mates and he has a little lathe type thing for trimming the length he said is essential- think he's got the die set that doesn't have the length sizer

OK, now I understand. Each time you fire a cartridge the case expands to fit the chamber and forces on the case neck nudge it forward away from the base. A fired case is therefore fatter and longer. Case sizing is first done in a die. The die forces the case back into shape. A case trimmer is then used to ensure the case isn't too long. Once you have resized in the die and trimmed your case to length you are ready to prime, add powder and the bullet. You need a sizer die AND a case length trimmer. Cheapest type of trimmer is the Lee Case Length Gauge together with the Lee Cutter and Lock Stud (about £13 together) or you can trim cases in a more expensive lathe type tool like your mate has. The end result in either is a case that is the right length. In reloading there are often different methods to achieve the same results.

Again, hope this all helps and welcome to the (addictive) world of reloading! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need any reloading questions answered - I mostly load .223 REM so can offer solid advice on your 308 WIN reloading. Your 38 pistol loading though is a little different as you may have to flare the case mouth and also have to crimp depending on your bullet type and gun.

18 hours ago, simjakcal said:

Lyman pro500 scales £30 inc postage

Pm me if interested..

20220612_152006.jpg

Thanks @simjakcal... Are they accurate? Please don't take this the wrong way but on first impression they look a little plasticy!

15 hours ago, Blackjack said:

OK, now I understand. Each time you fire a cartridge the case expands to fit the chamber and forces on the case neck nudge it forward away from the base. A fired case is therefore fatter and longer. Case sizing is first done in a die. The die forces the case back into shape. A case trimmer is then used to ensure the case isn't too long. Once you have resized in the die and trimmed your case to length you are ready to prime, add powder and the bullet. You need a sizer die AND a case length trimmer. Cheapest type of trimmer is the Lee Case Length Gauge together with the Lee Cutter and Lock Stud (about £13 together) or you can trim cases in a more expensive lathe type tool like your mate has. The end result in either is a case that is the right length. In reloading there are often different methods to achieve the same results.

Again, hope this all helps and welcome to the (addictive) world of reloading! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need any reloading questions answered - I mostly load .223 REM so can offer solid advice on your 308 WIN reloading. Your 38 pistol loading though is a little different as you may have to flare the case mouth and also have to crimp depending on your bullet type and gun.

Thanks @Blackjack, appreciate your reply and explanation. That is me getting confused- I've looked at and added the Cutter/Lock Stud kit to my shopping list but didn't realise it did the job of the trimmer!

Starting out is a bit of a minefield- I've reloaded with a couple of mates and spoken to several others and all have their own "this is how you must do it" approach! In trying to gain invaluable information, I've gotten more confused and overloaded my poor little brain with multiple ways of doing the same thing!

Keep an eye on your inbox ;)