River test fishing report

casts_by_fly

Hi guys and gals,

Thought I'd drop a quick note. I got to fish the Test on Saturday for grayling. We shared two beats for the 5 of us and had a ball. The weeds were still pretty heavy, but that concentrated the fish on the gravel that was exposed. My wife and I caught 3 dozen combined. She had the big fish with three 18" browns and an 18+" grayling. I got a grayling of the same length but thicker and a nice brown of ~17". All the rest of the fish were 11-14" except two 6" fish. Only one small grayling was on a dry fly (parachute adams), all the rest were on nymphs of one sort or another. Plenty of bugs about and lots of fish taking emergers. All in all a really nice day to be out.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Stuart,

We were around the town of Wherewell. It was a smaller place, didn't have a whole lot of water that they owned. They have two beats, 2 rods per beat normally (we booked 5 rods) and for grayling it runs £35 per rod. It is a word of mouth kinda place as they don't advertise. There are others around also that will sell day tickets. There is also a free (public) section further downriver.

The fishing that we did was indicator nymphing and sight nymphing to visible fish. That's how I prefer to fish and that made it a lot easier on Rachel who doesn't fish much. Some runs I took the indicator off, and some of it could have been fished well with dries or emergers in the film. The stream where we were was 40-70' wide and 2-6' deep with pretty even flows across.

It made for a nice day and something different from what I have been used to fly fishing.

Thanks

Rick