Carbon steel chef knives.

tx4cabbie

Opinel carbon steel knives

Following on from a post last year where a member wished they could get a sheepsfoot santoku kitchen knife without kullenschliff notches, we mentioned we were making one, and someone said to share once it was done.

We made a sheepsfoot santoku and a bunka from o1 tool steel. The bunka was claimed by a customer, who wanted it handled with field maple burl with a brass bolster, and given a full height flat grind.

The santoku was set aside as a gift for a friend who had helped us lots with plumbing issues, and was just buying his first house. He has Swedish heritage, so It was given a curly birch and elk antler handle with brass bolster, and a sabre grind to show the forging marks. 

Cutting them out left an interesting little blade blank over, which we made into a little paring blade, handled with the butt of a Scandinavian hatchet a customer asked us to rehaft. 

The bunka went down a treat, and the santoku and parer have made a Scandinavian plumber very pleased.

20221112_173953.jpg

20221112_173950.jpg

20221112_173009.jpg

20221029_201907.jpg

20221029_201832.jpg

20220828_171703.jpg

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Excellent doesn't do them justice. I am impressed.

Thanks, went to get some firewood in my taxi earlier, and took him as he's getting a stove installed same week I am - showed him the knife, it needs buffing and the edge refining, but he was like the proverbial dog with 2 appendages, loved it, which makes me happy.

6 hours ago, tx4cabbie said:

Thanks. Am working my way through the list of orders to get people's knives to them before Xmas, but should knives be wanted in the new year, we're happy to make them from the steel and handle material requested.

Marvellous. So having made my dream knife, how much would it be if I were to order one the same please?

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, tx4cabbie said:

I am so sorry for the late reply- got caught up trying to be a full time cabbie, and getting all the orders done for Xmas.

Will send a pm re costings. 

These were among the orders we had to get finished and sent to North America, aeb-l stainless with curly birch and elk antler. 

20221219_163725.jpg

20221219_164059.jpg

20221219_164032.jpg