SXP issue

flippermaj

Has anyone had any issues with the Winchester SXP letting an extra shell out of the mag tube when pumped, results in the live shell being ejected out from the underside of the gun? The second shell cycles up into the chamber fine so I think it is the third shell that is getting flipped out.

I had a problem the other week with it doing it with Eley Lightnings  and replicated the problem several times.  I stripped the gun and part of the trigger group was loose, it's held together with a small hex bolt.  I tightened this up and all seemed fine.

Ran a Gamebore Mammoth 3.5 inch cart through it today and it spat a live round out when pumped.   Anyone else had a problem like this?

Cheers

Flipper

I had a problem with my sxp with it trying to constantly bring 2 carts up, or, trying the dump one out the bottom depending if the gun was raised higher than shoulder level. 

After trying dozens of different carts in length and brass height, it turned out to be a very common problem with the mag tube, more to the point the magazine throat (part no 36 in the diagram) 

Mine had snapped off just a tiny part (and I mean tiny) because it's made of some **** plastic and caused the carrier to be off slightly from what I could see. 

Check yours 

Winchester_SXP_schem.jpg.fd93f786baa04647307690cf43852374.jpg

8 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Thanks for that, will have a look this evening.  See the photo above, can you see the damage in that photo?  Also is this a part that can be removed and refitted by me or is it a gunshop job?

Cheers

Tbh the photo could of been better. Can just see it, have a look at yours, any broken bits, fresh edges ect will indicate the problem. 

As far as I can tell you can change them at home but some say it would need heating up first. Impala on here is the man to talk to about pumps. 

I ordered a few direct replacements from America, ready for when mine breaks on the replacement as my first one went back under warrant, i think they were about $10 each

Thanks for the update.   I have had a look and mine looks to be all there, no breaks or looseness around the throat of the mag tube.

So I stripped it again and again the small hex bolt that runs through the trigger group had worked loose.  This is after only about a dozen shots since I  tightened it last.  I couldn't tighten it too much as it is only a small hex head\Allen Key so little leverage available.   I am now thinking I should maybe get some lock tight to secure it in place.  But this would mean taking the bolt right out to get at the threads and I am a little reluctant to do this as I do not know what in the trigger group it holds in place and don't want it all flying apart on me!   I have attached a photo of the trigger group and you can see the hex bolt just above the safety button.  Should I do it?  Is it the cause of the problem?

I also had a look at the actual shell stop.  I am not sure if it should be the shape mine is, looking at the photo its the left side slightly angled bit of metal.  Does anyone have one they can compare it with?

Final question and I feel a bit stupid asking this but I can't see what  parts actually cause the shell stop to move back to allow the new shell out of the magazine???

Cheers

Shell stop.jpeg

Trigger group.jpeg