12g 7/8 oz slug loads with bullseye?

Anyone have any loads for above? I found a virgin can of bullseye! Want to use 67mm S&B cases , CCI primers , nitro card , 20mm fibre wad (+ fill if needed) 7/8 oz Lee cast slug and roll crimp. My current load for this is 19.6gr red dot but won’t be seeing that for a while,I guess! Looking at working up from 13gr with bullseye for a light recoil load. Should be a low pressure load at that weight.  Any thoughts/loads/pointers PW’ers ?

Interesting, based on the speed of bullseye v red dot and that my red dot load is on the light side, I believe that 13g of bullseye will, in fact, be a good, safe starting point. I shall post my findings in due course. All initial tests in a 3” magnum single barrel!

I can't help with data but have a few questions as someone else who loads the Lee 7/8 slugs.

With regards to Bullseye I don't see any load data shotguns and would be curious to know why before using it. Many other similar powders are used for both pistol and shotgun. I use Viht N320 with plastic wads and a roll crimp with mine. Interesting to see your red dot load as I've N310 handy and the lead shot data is very similar to red dot. 

Do you have any issues with fibre wads and the undersized Lee slug? I find a suitable plastic wad works very well so not tried fibre.

Hi 

the only problem I’ve encountered with fibre wads is the wad following the slug through the target (in not necessarily the same hole) I tried glueing the wad to the slug and that seemed to help. But I have had better accuracy from the 7/8 Lee than any factory load. (Tight bored Ithaca 37 with fixed half choke) also good with my Valtro PM5 true cylinder. I have not used Vihtavouri powders but I understand that n310 has similar characteristics to red dot. The bullseye loads would be lighter due to the burn speed and may indeed have a bit of a loud crack so I will be proceeding with care

I also had problems with the plas wads following through the target, getting close to 12 holes for six shots at 10m, I now use two 20g nitro cards under the slug and the last comp didn't have any extra holes. I did notice others shooting factory loads also had wads separating and going through the target so a common problem.

• 1 month later...

Update;

load as follows;

S and B practical slug once fired cases

CCI 209 primer

15.7 gr Bullseye (#100 Lee loadall bush)

1/8” nitro card

21 mm fibre wad

2 x card overshot (as filler to correct height, 24 mm wads would correct)

7/8oz Lee cast slug

card overshot cover 

roll crimp

This proved to be a very light load to shoot and accurate out to 30metres. Not enough oomph to cycle a semi but a very pleasant load to shoot nonetheless.

probably no real point in working up a suitable semi load as Bullseye not likely to be seen on these shores again, but I have enough to make a decent amount of ammunition for now