European breakdown cover

Hi all

I'll be driving to and through France and Jersey later this year. I wonder if anyone can recommend a good European breakdown cover provider? I've been looking at eurorescue.co.uk (linked to autoaid, my UK breakdown cover people who are generally fairly good), but I've asked a couple of questions about cover and the responses have been non-existent or pretty useless. Doesn't matter so much if they're good at recovery and pay out when needed I suppose, but doesn't necessarily inspire confidence in the early stages.

Anyone got a tried and tested recommendation? My car is over 10 years old if that makes a difference - most places seem to cover it but charge more!

Thanks.

I have a  Nationwide Flex plus account that gives me breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance for £13 a month  so £156 a year. The breakdown cover is uk and European for any car I'm in or driving. You don't need to pay in money monthly, I just put a lump sum in and leave it. It's worth a look.

I used to drive through France every holiday and used the RAC for over 25 years.

I only called them out 3 times. They rebuilt my XJS power steering for parts only cost in the Auvergne, repaired Jaymo's clutch when I was his passenger in the Côte d'Azur and started the car after I had parked it for a week with the courtesy light on.

All smoothly dealt with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2024 at 15:51, RCB56 said:

I have a  Nationwide Flex plus account that gives me breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance for £13 a month  so £156 a year. The breakdown cover is uk and European for any car I'm in or driving. You don't need to pay in money monthly, I just put a lump sum in and leave it. It's worth a look.

Bit late, and you might have bought one already @sandspider, but +1 for flex plus! You also get a good level of family worldwide travel insurance , and extremely useful mobile phone insurance, which has paid for about a dozen screens in our household - even covers mechanical failures at the same reasonable excesses, not just accidental damage, making it an infinite warranty in that regard.

On top of that the debit card offers genuine 0% commission (at wholesale market rate) on cash withdrawals in foreign currencies from ATMs overseas, and the credit card does the same on card purchases, online or in person. Breakdown cover switched to AA recently, with equivalence to the maximum plan they offer.

I did switch my main account, but the perks on flexplus are so good it's probably worth having one on the side anyway! On top of that they're one of the last mutuals - owned by the members, not shareholders - and we've had a few hundred quid  back in recent years via member dividends.

Edited by BeardyDude
tidyup!