Browning sporter advice

ritz

Hey guys, went into the gunshop today to have a look at what's available and what fits.

PIcked up the first ( can't remember what it was exactly) felt ok but not great.

Picked up the second and I was in Love. First time into the shoulder fits perfect, look down the barrels, feels perfect, weight is perfect.. everything just feels right.

However as I asked the price I did gulp a bit, as this is my frist gun I was looking at spending about £500 no more.

The gun came in at £750 with a sleeve and a trigger lock thrown in ( i can probably get something else outa the deal)

I am not sure, but I think this gun comes without chokes and/or is choked at Full

Now I guess the question is is the £750 worth it for the Browning.

The feedback I have had is that this is a very good gun in general and I would probably not need anothet for a very long time. Considering it feels good in the shoulder and I am in love with the looks of it... My heart lies towards buying it, but common sense just tells me to ask people that know a little more than me.

Unfortunately I don't know the model, just that it is a Browning 30" barrels Sporter

Hopefully this is enough info for someone to give me some sound advice. Considering this is quite allot of money for me to be spending at this time of the year :good:

Many thanks for any suggestions/advice

R

Guest The Outlaw

You must be crackers :good::blush::good:

Seriously if it is a fixed choke gun it is highly unlikley to be a sporter.

I just paid £750ish for a near new condition 425 32" multi choke from Donaldsons in Milton Keynes.

That is a better deal than yours I think except if yours was a grade 3 or 5

I would shop around as Brownings are similar and I am sure you will find a better deal somewhere.

Tony

If you can, take someone with you who knows a little about guns or else it could turn into an expensive mistake, do some research and make a list of the recommended guns or guns with good feedback and look for a multichoke that way you can use it for anything.

Search for Beretta 682, 686, 687, Silver Pigeon

Dont know enough about Brownings but Mirokus are near identical, I favour a Miroku MK38 Teague sporter with 30" barells, cant go wrong with that gun, just need to learn how to shoot now.

If you can, take someone with you who knows a little about guns or else it could turn into an expensive mistake, do some research and make a list of the recommended guns or guns with good feedback and look for a multichoke that way you can use it for anything.

Search for Beretta 682, 686, 687, Silver Pigeon

Dont know enough about Brownings but Mirokus are near identical, I favour a Miroku MK38 Teague sporter with 30" barells, cant go wrong with that gun, just need to learn how to shoot now.

Thanks for the advice, that makes more sense, as I am in cambridge I would like to buy locally or as close to lacal as possible.

The gun is a Browning 325 Sporter Multi Choke. It's in pretty good nick, unfrotunately the guy selling does not know how many carts has been through and also he doesn't seem to know the grade of the Wood. To be honest, it still looks really good, but I hear what you are saying and I will be looking at DOnaldsons in Milton Keynes to see if they have osmething similar. It would seem that a good quality 325 is around the £700 mark, but I would prefer to not be ripped off :good:

Quick update :

Had a look on the Donaldsons site and they have similar guns for £775 so £750 with Gun slip and trigger lock thrown in seems ok?

http://www.donaldson-guns.co.uk/used_shotguns.php

Thanks again for all the help and advice :good:

Donaldsons is a grade three and looks a very decent gun. That seems a better proposition. Browning grades of gun are sometimes underneath the action. I have had two B325's and they both were marked underneath. I can't understand why a Gunshop would not advise on grade. I would assume a grade one in the absence of information.

By the way guys, checking on the Donaldsons website I saw the Beretta 682 for £690 so I'm thinking of maybe popping down there on saturday.. even though it's a bit of a drive, but to go and see how she fits :good:

Any thoughts on that.....

as if I haven't asked enough already o.0

Thanks guys

R

The 682 is old technology but still a good gun if cheap enough, the modern 682 is the 682e Gold, lovely looking gun with long Optima choke tubes, I nearly bought one but it did not fit me, the 687 or Silver Pigeon range are excellent and make a point of checking out some Mirokus, the 3800 and the 6000 are older versions of the MK38 and MK60, the MK38 comes in a few styles and the up to date one is the MK38 teague sporter. a brand new grade 1 MK38 teague will set you back just under a grand but it will last you a life time, you need to weigh up if to buy second hand or new.

Guest The Outlaw
Donaldsons is a grade three and looks a very decent gun. That seems a better proposition. Browning grades of gun are sometimes underneath the action. I have had two B325's and they both were marked underneath. I can't understand why a Gunshop would not advise on grade. I would assume a grade one in the absence of information.

I think that is my old gun I just traded in for my 425, does it have an easyhit bead on it?

Tony

I think that is my old gun I just traded in for my 425, does it have an easyhit bead on it?

Tony

I haven't personally looked at the Donaldsons one except on the website, but it does look a lovely gun. I guess my choices are really between the beretta and the browning. O rmaybe I should just cool my feet for a week and see if something else doesnt come up....

Guest The Outlaw

Just had a look on the Donaldsons site.

My old gun is the 325 grade 3 28" multi choke stock number # 070828/001

Lovely tiger stripe wood, fantastic engraving

This was my first ever gun.

Tony

O well, so today I decided to go have a look at what the local shop had, The guy took out a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon and it fit.... So I bought the damned thing.. S/H but still a lovely gun. Cost me the same as the browning would have and I got slip, cleaning kit and a few extra bits and bobs with it. So far so good, now I need to figure out how to take the thing apart and give it a good oil,

Guest The Outlaw
Be careful not to over oil or else the oil could run into the timber while in the cabinet.

Been there, done that and got the hump when it stained the wood.

Sod toget out as well.

Tony