Hardy Silex

PeterHenry

I've just bought myself one or the more recent versions of this reel - 1980s I think - because I enjoy coarse fishing with a centerpin, and as I can cast loops, but not wallis cast, it seems a convenient way to get the bait out a little further.

Does anyone have any experience / instructions on the finer points of using one?

15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, That sounds nice Peter, i used a centrepin but many years ago, There are some videos by Martin Porter might help

Cheers - yes, found a very helpful one on YouTube.

His explanation of the Wallis cast is diffrent from the one I was shown - which involved (from memory) batting the drum of the reel after releasing the tension of the line / rod. I manged it successfully once, and then decided to go back to casting loops, or what he more correctly calls the Nottingham cast - after a string of catastrophic failures...

7 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Cheers - yes, found a very helpful one on YouTube.

His explanation of the Wallis cast is diffrent from the one I was shown - which involved (from memory) batting the drum of the reel after releasing the tension of the line / rod. I manged it successfully once, and then decided to go back to casting loops, or what he more correctly calls the Nottingham cast - after a string of catastrophic failures...

Hello, They are realy made for Trotting a bait down stream , that is how i used mine but it was many years ago, I still have the reel, Avon Royal Supreme, not as fine as the Silex

53 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, They are realy made for Trotting a bait down stream , that is how i used mine but it was many years ago, I still have the reel, Avon Royal Supreme, not as fine as the Silex

I've still got a Match Aerial my dad bought me aged 11 second-hand from  a retiring miner over 50 years ago, 1 drop of gun oil on the spindle keeps it spinning

I tried the Wallis cast a couple of times and got into a birds nest.

Alan Roe a fellow member of a fishing club teaches it so I'm hoping to learn from him - he has a YouTube video

16 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

I've still got a Match Aerial my dad bought me aged 11 second-hand from  a retiring miner over 50 years ago, 1 drop of gun oil on the spindle keeps it spinning

I tried the Wallis cast a couple of times and got into a birds nest.

Alan Roe a fellow member of a fishing club teaches it so I'm hoping to learn from him - he has a YouTube video

Hello, That is another fine reel, i had the Idea to refurb an old Cane Avon rod and use my reel but never did, such is life🙄