Training Terriers for earthwork

Go for hunt stock patterdale. Take it out digging with older dogs to have a look and show it what happens etc,etc. After a few expeditions drop it in with a dead fox and see what it does. You are best to leave it too mature though until 18 months or so until you try it on fox.

I have to agree a paterdale is a good dog, but I would also consider a jack russel of breeding stock they are also a very good dog.

Me and my father have a young jack russel and we took him out hunting with the older terrier at about 12 months and it learned the ropes and at the age of 2 it is now coming on great. When the young dog has learned the basics the best thing to do is try it in a hole that your certain a fox is in and you will see how it reacts to possibly getting a knip and this will give you a idea of how its going to turn out.

Hi mike,

I keep and work Border terriers, they are good house dogs but with a terrier attitude towards work, they love it. I have made a false earth in one of the woods that i shoot in,if you can get your dog raggin a dead fox then thats a start as they learn the smell of what they are looking for. Next step is to drop a dead fox into the false earth and encourage your dog to sniff it out and find it, hopefully you can get your dog down the pipe to the chamber at the end. This is only the first step towards getting your terrier to go to ground, but it is teaching your dog to use its nose and by checking the earths in the area during the winter you will get lucky providing you have plenty of foxs in the area.

This is only a quick guide as there are so many avenues to go down, like the dogs age,breeding, size and working attitude etc.

Good advice that i was given is, if its a real bad winters day when you want to stop inside keeping warm and dry then thats the day when foxs think the same and you are more likley to find them to ground.

Good luck.