dog won't sit off lead

xav

Hi everyone,

I started teaching my 4 months old springer to sit. I only started last month as I've read somewhere that it could have a negative effect on style and pace if started too soon.

Anyway, she sits when on the lead and I moved to a longer (8 feet) lead with good success. However when she's off lead she ignores my command to sit although she comes back when I call her. Am I doing something wrong or should I persevere ?

I am relatively inexperienced at training dogs so any advise welcome.

Xav

Hello & yes you can easilly supress the dog if too hard on it for a start.1st step is to read your dog ie soft/hard etc & work on the areas with it but not realy that hard.I dont beleave in training with treats but before it's meals i make the dog sit this is quite a good quick way for them to learn.Your 4mth dog should sit beside you with out a lead but no hard & fast rules each dog diffrent.I do most of mine in living room etc & give sit command followed by pushing its bum down.Normally after a day doing theis 2-3times for a couple minutes several times in the day they learn.do not repeat command with no reinforcement or you will train it to be deaf.

Hello & yes you can easilly supress the dog if too hard on it for a start.1st step is to read your dog ie soft/hard etc & work on the areas with it but not realy that hard.I dont beleave in training with treats but before it's meals i make the dog sit this is quite a good quick way for them to learn.Your 4mth dog should sit beside you with out a lead but no hard & fast rules each dog diffrent.I do most of mine in living room etc & give sit command followed by pushing its bum down.Normally after a day doing theis 2-3times for a couple minutes several times in the day they learn.do not repeat command with no reinforcement or you will train it to be deaf.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise v-max. I'll try again and no matter how long it might take, I won't move to next stage of training until she sits everytime.

Xav

Guest The Outlaw

Try to get her to sit then walk away gradually increasing the space between you and her.

At the same time using a sit hand signal.

My Dad used to do obedience and agility training with a Husky X Border Collie and had a lot of success with her.

I would love another springer pup to train but home life says not yet.

Good luck with her.

Tony

You are a bit early for putting any pressure on the dog, but the basics should be started as early as possible.

At 4 months old I am not suprised that she won't sit off lead. It will come with perserverance. My ESS is 2 1/2 and although is very good I still wouldn't consider him fully trained. I don't believe that dogs ever are.