Automatic Feeder

I did have one. About thirty plus years ago. An American thing it was bought through Tim Hannam I think? Problem is that the UK it gets very cold does the weather and the batteries don't like the cold. As it took one of those brick sized nine volt batteries. The direction was set by a collar with a "V" shaped front plate so that when the spinner span the grain only went out in that direction. Or so the theory was.

The unit was like a plastic one litre sized thing like a oversize yoghourt pot or plastic paint kettle that held the battery with the spinner on the top. The thing then bolted to the bottom of the drum that came with it. It looked like a smaller version of what is on eBay UK as:

Automatic Game Feeder 12v Easy Feed Plastic Spinner Duck Pheasant

Mine was on an actual true island in my pond (not a island made from pallets) so no problem with squirrels. It was operated by a daylight sensitive timer switch that then made the thing come on and spin the spinner for a pre-set time of seconds down up to minutes. It wasn't, in truth, a great success.

Nowadays there are British made ones that can take car batteries. Much better I'd think.

Edited by enfieldspares

We had a dozen directional feeders and the were from America called Kenco . They worked very well but could not get spares so we ended up buying so normal pheasant feeders from A2 Decoys that feed 360 degrees and then modified them with a sheet of thin aluminium round the spinner with just a small gap to direct the grain . Not as exact as the old ones but with some experimentation it does work ok

IMG_1398.jpeg