Mop a top spaniel

Ferretboy111

Never really thought about this before, but i was pondering on why my spaniel has alittle tuft of hair on her head-(Gained from her mother)

A "Mop-a-top", i like to call it.

Was beating with a man who had a springer with a seriously huge "mop a top" on his head, and questioned it- he gave me the answer that it was to protect the springers head when he is pushing into thick cover, brambles and the like.

So obvious its unreal, and a clever hidden trait. May not look amazing to some, but what a hidden use.

Alex :good::lol:

My Cocker bitch has got a hairy bit at the back of her head which usually appears as spikes!

hackles?

No this is like a spiky hairdo which seems longer at the back of her head. Her hackles appear (rarely as she's pretty fearless) at the base of her neck and top of her backside.

Good post Ferretboy :lol:

I had a conservation with a picker-up last Saturday at a shoot I was beating on that had a gorgeous golden Cocker. She had a mop top to the point that it almost looked like a bloody wig! and when I questioned him about it he said only two out of the litter of eight had it but you didn't find out until the pup got to be a few months old.

My cocker has one sometimes but thats done to the rottie spoiling her and 'doing' his hair :good:

Bloody hairdressers can't help themselves :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think that it helps the dog IMHO as a cocker that goes through the thick cover does it if it has the instinct and probably don't give a toss for it's protection.

LB