first blood

jimdfish

Went out today for the first time after getting the nod from the farmer down the road. one pigeon all day, but dont give a monkeys, it was my first pigeon with a 12 bore and I am going again tomorrow.

I am shooting in a valley with crop on the ground and large trees flanking the field on both sides. Tonight all the pigeons seemed to be flying west. Does this necessarily mean that in the morning they will fly east aftyer roosting? I assume they were flyinf west to roost :D

Hi Jim,

Pleased to hear to enjoyed your first time out as much as i did. I only got the one pigeon on my first outing a few weeks ago so we can only improve.

The Q about the birds travelling west towards roosting time.

If you find most of the birds are going in one direction towards roost time then yes in the morning you will find them birds going east the next morning to the feeding grounds.

This can happen a few times a day because when the sun gets out and is hot, pigeons tend to chill out in the trees.

The time when its most slow is between 12 and 1600 so you will find most of the pigeons after this time but it is dependant on the weather conditions.

Its your first time out and you have already gained intelligence on the pigeons movements so the next time out you will get a few extra pigeons because of the recce while shooting.

I'm very new to this decoying lark myself but reading and talking to the more more experienced guns you will get a few good tips and tricks to increase your bag.

Happy shooting

Justin