Yukon Digital Ranger Night Vision Monocular

JohnGalway

Guest rabgoat
No rab I didn't go for the Bresser today. Since I heard they were going to be selling them I've been doing a bit of reading and question (interrogating :lol:) a few good folks. Then I came across the Yukon on the BBS and I just took to it straight away, biggest reason being that light cannot harm it as it's digital, so that's a good thing for me as I'd probably point NV right at a street light or something :lol:

I can't compare the two as I've not yet used either of them. It'd be interesting to get the two side by side using the same IR source and see what they're like though :huh: The Bresser is Gen1, the Yukon is meant to be near Gen 2, whether it is or not I don't know. Ya pays yer money and takes yer pick.

don't mind a bit of interrogating up here john we're well used to it :lol:.the yukon looks a better job hope it works well for you. :lol:

Guest rabgoat
don't mind a bit of interrogating up here john we're well used to it :lol:.the yukon looks a better job hope it works well for you. :lol:

Tell me about it, couldn't get a word out of ya :huh::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: the wife says that to me all the time

john we want a full review when you get it,im thinking of one to stick on a 12 ft lb pcp for ratting round yards.wished i knew someone with one that i could try just to see how good it is.the whole kit would add up to a few pounds maybe next years project think that would complete my collection

At the moment it seems you can only set it up and use it at one "preset" distance if using it behind a day scope because there's no ideal way of mounting it while retaining use of the front focus.

The focus needs a massive amount of fiddling/adjustment at close range and you'd not be able to pick out a rat if the front focus isn't at precisely the right length. Much like the objective lense of a rifle scope the the depth of focus is more tolerant at extreme ranges.

The ideal scenario for you would be to manufacture a mount that will locate it on the rifle whilst tilted 90 degrees anti-clockwise then use a laser sight. The single (bipod) mounting screw is on the underside of the ranger and it would be about 90mm above the rail. Were I a fiddler prone to butchering things I'd modify a 30 mm scope mount and employ some fibre glass to mould the Ranger to it so it could be retained with a laggy band

You'll be ending up with something like this if you want to use it with a dayscope - but will need to be able to adjust the lense, rather than use the lense to locate it, a lower mag front lense would also be ideal - and would probably improve the depth of focus.

I figure something other than a Ranger should be used for a scope, less hassle! I'll get something for my scope eventually... currently checking out those Digital sites from ... Dogfox is it? But the videos on his site won't work for me, humbug.

The digital ones from Dogfox, ASpro I think they are called look very good, seen the viseo but before I jump I want to look through one in anger.

Jerry

I'm watching this one with interest. We'll be expecting a full review in your usual excellent style please John - well it's not like you have owt else to do now is it? :P

If anyone has the GBSights version I would be VERY interested no know it's capabilities at rimfire and c/f foxing ranges, quite fancy trying one with a filter on the max pro instead of expensive IR lasers and the like.

Just a word on IR lasers - they are very dodgy legally as well as technically. I don't sell them myself, for several reasons. Firstly, there is a question of how legal they are - they seem legal to sell, but it may be a case that there just hasn't been a prosecution over them yet in actual use. They're a very powerful, invisible light, as dangerous as any laser to sight but invisible too. Shine one in your eyes carelessly or negligently, perhaps after forgetting it's on, or of the switch has rubbed against clothing or the door of your truck, and that's it, you're blind. Or someone else is - put your rifle down after forgetting to switch off the laser, or again if the switch was accidentally triggered, and they wouldn't even know it was in their eyes.

Technically, what you are doing with an IR laser is pushing the intensifier tube to handle a level of light it was never designed to handle - this will affect longevity of the tube. Also, people usually focus the laser in to the middle half of the field of view, so that their tubes burn out even faster, and in the centre.

You'd swear we were going to go around in a shopping centre zapping everyone in the face with them. Credit us with a bit of cop on please.

Not my suggestion at all. My point was not recklessness or malice, but that an accident could leave you open to a whacking bill for compensation or the loss of your own sight. If you think it's worth the risk, be my guest.